• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ever heard of it?????

md321

Warren Scout
My mum used to have a rabbit and she gave her rabbit tealeaves and oatmeal mixed together, have you ever tried this?

Nope, and I wouldn't :lol:

People used to feed rabbits all sorts of kitchen scraps, it was a hangover from when rabbits were predominantly kept for meat so needed to be fed as cheaply as possible.

Neither tealeaves nor oatmeal are particularly good for rabbits though so I wouldn't recommend doing it - there are btter things if you want to give them a treat. (Although oats can be useful for a bunny that needs to put on weight).

Yes, my FIL used to feed that mixture to his rabbits in the 60s. I think they were kept for food though!

well im afraid that my boy wasnt kept for food but on cold winter nights my nanna used to feed my bun tea leaves with something? I thought it was bran but could be what you say so this is probably what it was. Never done mine any harm tea leaves are herbs and oatmeal is like cereal so cant see the harm in it obv nowadays you can get all sorts of different foods to try.

My grandad used to feed that to his rabbits in the 30's, along with potato peelings:shock: Poor rabbits:cry:

when I was a new bun owner, a neighbour recommended this to me and I did feed tea leaves mixed with oatmeal as an occasional "treat". He actually went for that first before his mix. (not that that necessarily means it was good for him)

Obsolutely heard of rabbits eating oatmeal and tea leaves. In the 60-70's that is what we fed our rabbit as well as greens and carrots and stuff. Our rabbit Thumper lived 10 years on this diet. We learned of this when we got our chinchilla rabbit. That is what he was fed. So yes it's true.

well im afraid that my boy wasnt kept for food but on cold winter nights my nanna used to feed my bun tea leaves with something? I thought it was bran but could be what you say so this is probably what it was. Never done mine any harm tea leaves are herbs and oatmeal is like cereal so cant see the harm in it obv nowadays you can get all sorts of different foods to try.

A bran mash used to be recommended feed for rabbits, until not too long ago, I seem to remember. And probably by the R.S.P.C.A.?

That's a new one for me!!
g.png

Mine have never had tea leaves but they love Quaker oats (oatmeal/porridge oats) sprinkled over their hay. I don't wet them or anything, just give them to them dry. They get some everyday, and it's good enrichment as they search through their pile of hay to find every single oat. Oats are pretty fattening though so I wouldn't think you'd want to give them loads unless you're trying to keep weight on them.

Tea leaves I would think you'd hear more about feeding because a variety of herbs are fed to buns... I think they have caffeine in them though so maybe that's why...I wouldn't think even natural caffeine would be safe.

Oats and tealeaves

My mum used to have a rabbit and she gave her rabbit tealeaves and oatmeal mixed together, have you ever tried this?

I had a rabbit for twelve years. Every morning I fed him used tealeaves hot from the teapot and oats. I’m not sure where I learned to do this. My uncle Cam told me they loved it and it seemed he did

I used to give my rabbits bran mash ie bran soaked in warm water in the winter months.

Back