• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is a small hutch okay....if you have a LARGE run?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Opinions from rescues please :wave:

Eg, a double 4x2x2 + a 10x4 run?

Thats 56 sq ft, but minus the ramp space, 50 sq ft say.

Never to be locked in the hutch.

I'd say yes as long as there was PLENTY of cover in the run so that they could still be using their space and keep dry

I suppose it's just like people having a small indoor cage as a 'base', but if the rabbit doesn't like wind or rain it wouldn't be fair for most of their space to be a big open run

to be honest, if the hutch is only ever to be used as a base and they have 24/7 access to a strong, fox proof run, then the size of the hutch doesn't really matter. Mine very rarely use their indoor cages which are inside their walk in runs - although I haven't peeped out during the night to see if they sleep there!

edited to say that my walk in run is 10ft x 13ft - split in two with a corrugated plastic roof to keep rain off. There is also plenty of shade when it gets sunny.

Last edited:
Depends if the run had a roof. If it didn't then I think i'd go for 2 4ft hutches, 1 at either end and some other hidey holes. If there is a roof I'm sure a 4ft hutch plus other hidey holes would be good.

You hardly ever find mine in the 'indoor' bit they are always in the run. I have tarpaulin covering the roof to keep rain off which I'll change to the corrugated stuff when I move house.

I guess its the same as Buckley having a 100 cage with free range in my room most of the time and half my room (my room is ridiculously massive) when I'm not home.
He only ever goes into the cage for drinkies. As long as they have lots of space to race around and somewhere for shelter I don't see the problem :)

Back