• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any suggestions to help a weeping eye?

Laura10101

Warren Scout
Hi,

My rabbit Daisy has the occasional runny eye. I have visited the vet before about it and they want to avoid flushing it under GA unless it gets really bad (Daisy is a v large rabbit and needs a high quantity of anaesthetic). The vet told us to bathe it and gave us dermisol cream to help heal the skin.

Does anyone know of anything else i could try to help her eye weeping?

Thanks,

Laura & Daisy

This is what it looks like at the moment (she has a slight bald patch from the tears)

daisyseye-2.jpg

Has she had her teeth checked by the vet and a skull xray to rule out tooth root issues?

I assume not to the xray due to your statement of the GA etc.

I'd strongly recommend this be done.

Is she on any pain relief?

Ongoing weepy eyes are often due to changes to the duct draining tears from the eye, usually with overgrown tooth roots or inflammation of the duct itself. It is simple to flush this duct with the rabbit awake, just with some local anaesthetic in their eye (although some very jumpy rabbits can be more difficult!) and this will give your vet some information on whether the duct is narrowed or blocked.
Anaesthetics are no higher risk in larger rabbits so unless she has other health problems that could affect an anaesthetic I wouldn't rule this out as Xrays are crucial for looking at the tooth roots properly.
Marie

Thanks very much for your help guys :) I'll take her back to the vet and see what they think. She is very tame so LA might work with her. She doesnt have any health problems, the vets were just wary when she was neutered, and gave her a mix of gas and anaesthetic as they thought the high quantity of anaesthetic on its own would be risky. They seen quite rabbit savvy, and have checked her teeth before but have never done any xrays.

Back