• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I socialize with my rabbits if they don't want anything to do with me? :(

zayna1

Warren Scout
(long story) I have two rabbits, both fixed, and both under a year old (living outside in a shed set up) Both rabbits will come to me with coaxing, and will eat from my hand. But they still shy away from being touched. Even if I put my hand on the ground, they don't want to be touched at all. The only reason they'll ever come near me is for food :oops:. They have become better recently, after spending literally hours at a time sitting with them, up until this point. I really don't know what to do. Hopefully next year we'll be getting a bigger shed for them, so that I can go inside with them and sit with them even in winter. But right now I feel like a total failure. My dad says 'oh they don't like you, they're unhappy, give them to a better home'. And that really makes me feel bad....they are happy and healthy bunnies, and very inquisitive. And they are really spoiled when it comes to material possessions, they just don't like me :(.

don't take it personally - some bunnies just take a very long time to trust humans. I've had Chloe 2 years and she will only come to me for food, and run away if I stroke her head. Just keep doing it and they may get used to you.

Most rabbits just aren't keen on physical contact with people. It's nothing you're doing wrong and it doesn't mean they're unhappy. It's just rabbits being rabbits :)

It might help to have all food (pellets, veg, fruit, treats) given to them directly by you. Either from your hand or from a bowl/treat dispenser/etc that's near you. I know it's nice to have food rewards in their playing, but it's also nice that they see you as a fun thing! Associate yourself with the nommy food. Then, slowly work towards touching them - move your hand near gradually, a bit more each day and work up to stroking them eventually. Don't bother trying to pick them up - most buns don't like it and it'll just make them associate you with bad things :)

My 2 love me, but they only like stroking if they're already half asleep or they're eating something. They're simply way too busy otherwise :shock:!

So I sneak my cuddlies and kisses in when they're nomming :love:

EDIT: Forgot to say, Täplä is really skitty and barely allows me a stroke without snuffling off, Nenä happily lets me rub for ages :D I properly ruffle her up :evil:! But she never used to like it, it's just doing it gradually and finding out if they will let you or not :)

Last edited:
Most rabbits just aren't keen on physical contact with people. It's nothing you're doing wrong and it doesn't mean they're unhappy. It's just rabbits being rabbits :)

This. Rabbits are rabbits, most will prefer the company of their own kind, not humans.

It might help to have all food (pellets, veg, fruit, treats) given to them directly by you. Either from your hand or from a bowl/treat dispenser/etc that's near you. I know it's nice to have food rewards in their playing, but it's also nice that they see you as a fun thing! Associate yourself with the nommy food. Then, slowly work towards touching them - move your hand near gradually, a bit more each day and work up to stroking them eventually. Don't bother trying to pick them up - most buns don't like it and it'll just make them associate you with bad things :)

I second this! If possible, I would provide everything, except hay (which they need 24 access to) by hand. I know at first it feels like then they only like you for the food, but what you are doing is using the food as an incentive for them to be close to you and they can then learn that nothing bad happens when your near and if fact it's a good thing. Once you have them racing over to you every time you get close then you can introduce them to the wonders of nose rubs :)

I have 3 rabbits. Two won't even come near me for food. When I put food in bowls or even when I have treats, they won't come out to get them until I've gone. One will come to me for food, and likes nose rubs, but only so much. My last bunny used to hop over to me all the time and loved cuddles. But I console myself that when I see them tearing round the garden and binkying, I know they're happy. They've also escaped several times, but always come back. It's just the way it's going to be :(

Back