• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can't believe it - pet shop rant U/D recieved reply

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
Just been to a local pet shop where they sell fish and reptiles as I'd heard they'd 'branched out' into rabbits and guinea pigs.

It's true :( Luckily there aren't many - 2 baby rabbits living with a guinea and cage with a couple of guineas in it.

They had fresh veg but NO HAY! I told her and she said they're waiting for a delivery (she thought I wanted to buy some) but when I explained she didn't seem that bothered. I'm not very confrontational so I left it, but I think I will e-mail them.

There are other pet shops where they could buy hay so at least their bunnies have hay. I know it's bank holiday tomorrow so they won't have a delivery then so no hay for a few more days.

Poor bunnies :( I just wanted to take them, home but I know they'd just replace them with more poor bunnies.

They were advertised by 'BUY A CAGE AND GET A RABBIT HALF PRICE'

So sad :(

Last edited:
Just e-mailed them.

I hope they don't get nasty about it. I hate to have to do that, but the woman there seemed like she really didn't have a clue about them!

That's awful, you could try complaining to the council, not having hay means that their basic needs aren't being met, they might be made to stop selling them in that case :) good luck! Let us know if you get a response...

they emailed back today.

I'm SO angry - she was so rude and defensive.

She said they feed them 'Herby rabbit' everyday (anyone ever heard of this? no hits on google) and that they've bread rabbits for years and are well aware of their rabbits and other animals dietary needs.

Then sent another email (I've not replied to either), referring me to read the RSPCA guidelines. Really nastily. I was just trying to help the rabbits.

I would report them to the local council if they have rabbits and guineas together, I did this a few months ago and the Council visited and advised them to keep the two species separate and did an inspection of the premises.

they emailed back today.

I'm SO angry - she was so rude and defensive.

She said they feed them 'Herby rabbit' everyday (anyone ever heard of this? no hits on google) and that they've bread rabbits for years and are well aware of their rabbits and other animals dietary needs.

Then sent another email (I've not replied to either), referring me to read the RSPCA guidelines. Really nastily. I was just trying to help the rabbits.

Maybe you should reply sending some RSPCA guidelines back at them!! Im sure they werent in a large enough cage, Hay should be in their DAILY diet etc etc - things like this make me mad but well done for trying to do something!
Sets a great example to people going in to buy them doesnt it :roll::(

:wave: contact the Environmental Health as they will have granted the license to sell rabbits. Back up your arguement with lots of official links e.g. DEFRA guidelines, Pet Care Trust ( a self regulating body that a lot of pet shops allegedly subscribe to).

good luck and keep us posted x

Haha good for you - I can't!

My problem is where we are, it's very 'local' and I'm worried to go back in now incase they remember me and say something horrible!

I want to go and check. I'm hoping it was just a one off and they've sorted it now. :-s I'll try and get up this week and check again. I hate confrontation so badly, I just cry :lol:

It's in the high peak...

theres a pet shop near us that often doe boy a hutch get a free rabbit :cry:

ive complained but nothing happened, i even told rwaf

oh and recently theyve moved all rabbits along with guinea pigs to front window :cry:

theres a pet shop near us that often doe boy a hutch get a free rabbit :cry:

ive complained but nothing happened, i even told rwaf

Is it the one in Radcliffe? I had to go in there to get some hay when I was visiting my parents and they had rabbits and guinea pigs together in a small cage under a bright light. :(

Resisted saying anything to the guy because my mum was with me. It used to be so good when I was younger.

Back