• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microchipping bunnies........

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
Been asked my opinion on microchipping bunnies. I have no experience in that area at all.

Anyone got experience, thoughts etc they would be willing to share.

Need to know cost involved, size of microchip etc, etc.

Many thanks in anticipation.

My rabbits are all bio-therm microchipped, so when scanned, it also shows their temperature.

Cost about £25 each.

Cost is usually around the £20 mark but varies from area to area. The chip is the same size as what goes into cat/dog (approx 1cm in length, width about the same as a grain of rice) :D
Temperature chips are good, but not always 100% accurate. Fine to use on a check of a healthly animal (e.g boosters), but if the animal is poorly, I know our vets would definatly still take the temperature the 'original' :oops: way.

The chip is the same whether microchipping cat, dog, rabbit etc and itself costs £5 or less dependant on whether bought in bulk. The additional cost is what the implanter will charge, some upto £30 per animal!

I think its a great idea - (with or without thermometer).

It means they can use catflaps that only open to specific 'readings' of their chip - thus keeping neighbours cats etc out!

Also of course good if get lost! Though not sure how many rescues look for a chip

Mine aren't micro-chipped for the simple reason I'm not sure how many people check lost bunnies for chips! If it became as usual as checking a dog or a cat I would consider it.

I microchip all the rescue ones but it will onnly work if every rescue scans rabbits when they go in as otherwise it is not worth doing, hopefully vets scan like they do for dogs and cats

I have none of mine done. I have thought about it but couldn't put them through it consious :oops:

If any have to have a ga for any reason I am going to do it then.

At my vets it's normally £25 but they have a deal on at the moment for a £10 microchip, I think the biotherm are a bit more expensive.

Back