• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

All you can do is stick with what you believe to be right. i would do exactly the same as you and if there's a backlash send them to r/u!
I had this with a friend of mine and a dog, she could'nt wait to get a puppy as we 'made it look so easy' we had done a lot of reserch on the breed etc...
she could'nt have any old dog it had to be 'pretty' and a certain colour, the breed she choose needs at least an hours walk a day which it dose'nt get it has no training what so ever and all she says is 'i wish i'd never had a dog'
you just cant tell some people!!

Ahh well I told her everything I knew, and now she's getting a baby mini lop as thats apparently what is best for small children, and the size hutch shes seen for the mini lop is 4ft :( and shes getting pairs, shes been told by a breeder thats ok.

Someone commented saying when rabbits have runny poos feed them rice. What the hell? Does anyone on here recommend that as that sound so backwards to me

Where on earth do they think a rabbit will come across cooked rice in the wild? I'd be very tempted to reply contradicting that.:?

rice

Ahh well I told her everything I knew, and now she's getting a baby mini lop as thats apparently what is best for small children, and the size hutch shes seen for the mini lop is 4ft :( and shes getting pairs, shes been told by a breeder thats ok.

Someone commented saying when rabbits have runny poos feed them rice. What the hell? Does anyone on here recommend that as that sound so backwards to me

I knew i had heard of rice helping to cure diarrhoea in rabbits,some thing ive never tried personally.
I have 4 rabbit care books so had a quick flick through,3 dont mention rice but one does.
Quote from book "Sometimes a little drained bioled rice does wonders for the sufferer"
The book is called - How to care for your rabbit - by Louise Brown.
As far as i can work out it was published in 1997 - ISBN 185279167-5

It would be best if you could try to stay on friendly terms with her. No doubt she thinks the breeder is the best authority on rabbits and it will take time for her to accept other's views
I have never heard of feeding a rabbit rice - but I am no expert.
I would adopt a gentle approach trying to show her what the RSPCA consider to be optimum conditions for rabbits and maybe get her to join RU so she can read for herself?

At least the rabbits are not in the breeders tiny cages and a 4ft cage for two baby bunnies is OK for now. I daresay as babies they will be able to take 3 hops in there? and she can upgrade or alter later. She may be planning to keep the bunnies indoors and let them have the run of the house? or they may get free range every day?
I feel sometimes the 6ft x 2 x 2 hutch with 6ft x 6ft run recommendation can be considered too precisely. It's all about giving the rabbit enough space to take at least 3 hops and also be able to stand upright to wash their ears and lie stretched out when shut in, and to be able to run around and stretch their legs out of the hutch each day.

( my 2 rabbits had a 5ft hutch-
but they did have enough room as the 5ft hutch is in a large purpose built room attached to our house - and the hutch door was never locked & they had access to a secure run and garden free range. They had more room than if they had the recommended RSPCA space.)

I know some people are very resiliant to change and your friend may be one of them but perhaps try to get her to join RU then she can see for herself?

I don't know at what age bunnies should be neutered but maybe you could advise her on that nearer the time by directing her to the appropriate info?

sue:wave:

I give her a positive point shes said shes looking into every angle and doesn't want to rush into it. When I mentioned that rabbits are timid and children need to be really careful she commented saying that she will teach her daughter to be very careful and how to treat them properly. Shes getting it neutered as soon as possible just hope they care properly for the new buns and not get bored.

I fell out with a long-term friend after she got a rabbit + two guineas for her three (very rowdy) boys plus starting a child-minding business at home. They had a good sized run, that was about the only positive thing. Didn't like to hear any other opinion other than "she did it when she was a kid and they were FINE, in fact the rabbits were loose in her garden and bred and they were so cute! :roll:

Sounds like your friend is at least trying to research the care!

I fell out with a long-term friend after she got a rabbit + two guineas for her three (very rowdy) boys plus starting a child-minding business at home. They had a good sized run, that was about the only positive thing. Didn't like to hear any other opinion other than "she did it when she was a kid and they were FINE, in fact the rabbits were loose in her garden and bred and they were so cute! :roll:

Sounds like your friend is at least trying to research the care!

She is which is good. Shes not really a friend just someone I used to work with, we aren't close if we were I'd find it much easier to say don't do this, do this. :)

Back