• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trouble Grooming - Question

abi2047

Mama Doe
I had Riley indoors for the night and I sat him on the sofa last night to groom him as he's moulting a lot (especially around his bottom), but he wouldn't let me groom him. I tried again just now and he still wont let me groom him. His bum really needs brushing because it's all fluffy and starting to go into little clumps. Would it be easier to take him to the vets and get his back end shaved to keep it clean in case of flystrike?

The same thing's happening to Sox, we were at the vet yesterday and she said just do what I can and leave him to it, there was a big long bit and I cut it off. But she said it should moult itself off or Sox would sort it himself. But it wasn't my usual rabbit-savvy vet so :?.

The same thing's happening to Sox, we were at the vet yesterday and she said just do what I can and leave him to it, there was a big long bit and I cut it off. But she said it should moult itself off or Sox would sort it himself. But it wasn't my usual rabbit-savvy vet so :?.

But when I left it last year it got really messy, up to the point where we had to cut it. :?

How firm was your grip on him? If he feels he can run away he most likely will but obviously don't squeeze him to death

Could you get someone to hold him while you groom him, or trim his fur with safety scissors?

Letting the vet do it would be the easiest option. Prices vary depending on the vet but I would imagine it would only be about $15.

My mini lop, Izzy, would get the same thing. I had to keep his butt groomed. I don't why but he didn't like grooming his butt :lol:

How firm was your grip on him? If he feels he can run away he most likely will but obviously don't squeeze him to death

Could you get someone to hold him while you groom him, or trim his fur with safety scissors?

He hates being handled no matter how you handle him. He would get so scared if someone had to pin him down.

But when I left it last year it got really messy, up to the point where we had to cut it. :?

How do you mean his bottom gets messy, are you saying that the fur gets matted together but his bottom remains clean or are you saying the fur gets matted with poo?

How do you mean his bottom gets messy, are you saying that the fur gets matted together but his bottom remains clean or are you saying the fur gets matted with poo?

The fur gets matted. Their is no poo on his bum but the fur is clumping together. I'm worried incase it becomes bigger and starts pulling on his skin. :?

Could you not just cut it again then?
The only reason I managed to cut Sox's because it was literally trailing behind him.
Could you try put your hand under his bum (not a pleasant feeling I know) while he's eating or sleeping and untangle it a little bit with your hands? Both hands and don't tug, just gently pull the tangles fur apart? Do you know what I mean, not a very good explanation :lol:x

Wait for him to sit (the egyptian pose)
Then stroke him and at the same time brush him
You may want a person to stroke while the other grooms

Could you not just cut it again then?
The only reason I managed to cut Sox's because it was literally trailing behind him.
Could you try put your hand under his bum (not a pleasant feeling I know) while he's eating or sleeping and untangle it a little bit with your hands? Both hands and don't tug, just gently pull the tangles fur apart? Do you know what I mean, not a very good explanation :lol:x

I tried to groom it last night and then I tried cutting it but because he hates being handled and touched he kept running off.

what have you tried?? how do you get him in your house?

When he's in the garden I put a play pen around him to 'corner' him and then place the carrier in with treats or veg inside and wait for him to go inside, which takes a long time.

Wait for him to sit (the egyptian pose)
Then stroke him and at the same time brush him
You may want a person to stroke while the other grooms

I've already tried this. He hates being handled and touched.

I tried to groom it last night and then I tried cutting it but because he hates being handled and touched he kept running off.

When he's in the garden I put a play pen around him to 'corner' him and then place the carrier in with treats or veg inside and wait for him to go inside, which takes a long time.

I've already tried this. He hates being handled and touched.

so you cant even stroke him??

I think a vet would be able to do it as they feel more confident than a owner and would get the job done quickly :wave:

if you cant get the job done but feel he needs it doing, then get the vet to do it. cant think of any other way to get it done if you cant do it yourself.

You keep saying he hates it, but that's different from being terrified of it.

What does he do that makes you think he is scared?

Back