• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello i might be interested in keeping rabbits

Windy Day

Young Bun
Hiya there :wave:

I haven't got rabbits, I am considering them. My last guinea pig of 6 yrs died last week, which was dreadfully sad. I feel empty now, so I am considering keeping rabbits instead of guinea pigs. Cos I found that I never saw my guinea pigs during the day, they were always active at night, sometimes I wondered if I have a pet! :roll:

:love: Are rabbits active during the day? Rabbits are more expensive & complicated to keep aren't they?

:wave: Hi and welcome!!

Keeping rabbits isn't cheap but is definitely worth it! Rabbits aren't necessarily active during the day, some are and some aren't, they are most active at dawn and dusk every day but tend to sleep through the day, however mine will come and interact with me if I go in during the day, especially if I have food!!

You will find loads of tips on this site! Why not search out your nearest rescue centre and go and have a look there to see if any catch your eye, and have a chat with staff there :) There are over 35000 bunnies in rescue centres across Britain at the moment all needing loving homes.

My buns are active from 5-11am approx,then sleep until approx 6pm when they are active again.This is probably due to their routine.All buns are active at different times but on the whole,most buns are awake mornings & evenings & sleep afternoons and night.Its called crepscepular[sp????]Bunnys are great,& if you put in the hours with them,they are very rewarding,especially if in doors as part of your family.:D

Hiya thanks for makin me feel welcome :lol:

And guess what? Followed your advice. I did later checked out my nearest rescue centre, today and its the 1st time I've done anything like that. I saw dozens and dozens and dozens of homeless bunnies! :shock: So many, too many.

The trouble was that there just were so many of them, it was very hard to choose and the staff didn't really know the names of the breeds types. So in the end after much discussion with my hubs, we decided to 'reserve' 2 brother baby rabbits which will be ready to be released to us in Oct. They will be vacinated and snipped for us and we pay £50. We will get our home inspected too in the process. I like to check their teeth are align before they come home with us. One of the brothers is brown/grey in colour lovely wild looking and the other is white with splashes of black.

My buns are active from 5-11am approx,then sleep until approx 6pm when they are active again.This is probably due to their routine.All buns are active at different times but on the whole,most buns are awake mornings & evenings & sleep afternoons and night.Its called crepscepular[sp????]Bunnys are great,& if you put in the hours with them,they are very rewarding,especially if in doors as part of your family.:D

Thanks for that, i hope to see more of them than guinea pigs. i remember i only ever saw my guinea pigs active about 5-6pm each day - difficult time when I had to put the dinner on and then when it was dark they were awake but I was in bed!

Hiya thanks for makin me feel welcome :lol:

And guess what? Followed your advice. I did later checked out my nearest rescue centre, today and its the 1st time I've done anything like that. I saw dozens and dozens and dozens of homeless bunnies! :shock: So many, too many.

The trouble was that there just were so many of them, it was very hard to choose and the staff didn't really know the names of the breeds types. So in the end after much discussion with my hubs, we decided to 'reserve' 2 brother baby rabbits which will be ready to be released to us in Oct. They will be vacinated and snipped for us and we pay £50. We will get our home inspected too in the process. I like to check their teeth are align before they come home with us. One of the brothers is brown/grey in colour lovely wild looking and the other is white with splashes of black.

Hi and welcome :wave:

Im so glad you decided to go to a rescue :D To be honest the breed of the rabbit is pretty irrelevant, each individual bun will have its own personality. For example I have owned 3 lionheads and they all have completely different characters! The only things to consider breed wise would be potential health problems and maintenance issues. Obviously longer furred buns will need alot more grooming etc

I bet you cant wait for October now! The good thing is thats plenty of time to ensure you have a good set up ready for them. Buns need alot more room than Piggies. Also their diet is very different. Im sure you will find all of this out through browsing the forum though, dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions, theres alot of very rabbit savvy people on here :D:wave:

Hello & welcome :wave:

You're not far from us :D

Well done for checking out a local rescue :D:wave:

I'm glad you found a pair :) I've currently got a male and female pair that I bonded myself and we're now getting a mum and daughter pair to make a group of four! It's so exciting, We make the run/hutches ourselves :) You can perfect them better and they usuaslly cost less :) If you're good at DIY then why not give it a go?

Good luck!

If you're good at DIY then why not give it a go?

Good luck!

:oops: I am pretty useless I am afraid! But the hubs might be able to improve up on something.

We are planning in getting a big new rabbit hutch with a run for our October rabbits. The guinea pigs' old hutch and stuff are way too small and planning to get rid of it at a car boot.

There's one little glitch though, at the Rescue Centre none of the rabbits' litters are sexed yet, so we don't even really know if they are any bucks within our litter, even though we have picked one white and one grey!!! All I know is there is 4; 2 whites and 2 greys!! The does in the litter don't get neutered sadly :(.

Thank you for making me feel welcome on here and warmest greeting to you & everyone else who had posted.:wave:

Last edited:
:oops: I am pretty useless I am afraid! But the hubs might be able to improve up on something.

We are planning in getting a big new rabbit hutch with a run for our October rabbits. The guinea pigs' old hutch and stuff are way too small and planning to get rid of it at a car boot.

There's one little glitch though, at the Rescue Centre none of the rabbits' litters are sexed yet, so we don't even really know if they are any bucks within our litter, even though we have picked one white and one grey!!! All I know is there is 4; 2 whites and 2 greys!! The does in the litter don't get neutered sadly :(.
Thank you for making me feel welcome on here and warmest greeting to you & everyone else who had posted.:wave:

:shock::cry::cry:

There's one little glitch though, at the Rescue Centre none of the rabbits' litters are sexed yet, so we don't even really know if they are any bucks within our litter, even though we have picked one white and one grey!!! All I know is there is 4; 2 whites and 2 greys!! The does in the litter don't get neutered sadly :(.Thank you for making me feel welcome on here and warmest greeting to you & everyone else who had posted.:wave:

That's very sad. Does need neutering because, apart from anything else, un-neutered does are at great risk of developing uterine cancer.:cry:

That's very sad. Does need neutering because, apart from anything else, un-neutered does are at great risk of developing uterine cancer.:cry:

Indeed. Plus there is a far greater risk of them becoming hormonal and therefore falling out with the bun they are bonded with :cry: This can be very stressful (for you and the bun) and can result in serious injury :cry:

Indeed. Plus there is a far greater risk of them becoming hormonal and therefore falling out with the bun they are bonded with :cry: This can be very stressful (for you and the bun) and can result in serious injury :cry:

Absolutely right. Think I might have been better had I been neutered.:lol:

Rabbits are supposed to be most active at dawn and dusk but mine seem wide every time I go out :lol: Welcome :wave:

Welcome to the bunny world :lol:

I think I know which rescue you're talking about :( there is another rescue in Northant's if you're interested, I belive they spey thier females aswell as the males :)

Good luck with the new additions when they arrive!

Welcome!

If you have a look into hutch options you might want to consider a shed style setup with an attached run, much easier to clean out!! My babies are indoors now but when I had a hutch it was really difficult to clean. An open space with Lino down and a litter tray or three is much easier and in sheds you can put in levels which they love. Plus in winter you can wrap up and go spend time with them. :thumb:

Back