• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help, rabbit has eaten ibuprofen

nessar

Warren Veteran
Barney has eaten around two thirds of a 200mg ibuprofen tablet.

Is it an emergency vets job? Hes a big bun at 3.6kg.

Your best calling the vets. If it were paracetomol I would be saying definitely but I'm not sure with ibroprofen

Helen x

This says ibuprofen is safe to use but the max dose is 10mg per kg (36mg in your bunny's case) so I would advise you to ring the emergency vet and explain.

Have called, the emergency vets are going to ring him and call me back.... he seems fine...

how much do emergency vet visits usually cost anyone?

It varies a lot I think. We were quoted £65 for an emergency consult on Easter Sunday.

I hope all is ok.

okay.. would I have to take his bonded friend too? Cause if so its a case of start chasing her now :? I'm just thinking would it be worse to separate them?

Have called, the emergency vets are going to ring him and call me back.... he seems fine...

how much do emergency vet visits usually cost anyone?

Emergancy consult for me is I think £90 before treatment, stupid price!

okay spoken to vet, hes taken just over the 'safe' dose, possible effect would be bleeding in the stomach, so I am to give him a indigestion relief medicine (so basically chalk) and hope basically. And call him back if he has diahorrea (sp?) or black poops.

so I'm hopeful :)

okay spoken to vet, hes taken just over the 'safe' dose, possible effect would be bleeding in the stomach, so I am to give him a indigestion relief medicine (so basically chalk) and hope basically. And call him back if he has diahorrea (sp?) or black poops.

so I'm hopeful :)

Oh thats good fingers crossed, might be worth feeding some wet herbs aswell to dilute it down hope it will be OK and Barney won't suffer any major side affects.

Phew, hopefully all will be ok then. I know with humans it's important to take ibuprofen with food so, as Vicki said, make sure he's eating plenty too.

Phew, hopefully all will be ok then. I know with humans it's important to take ibuprofen with food so, as Vicki said, make sure he's eating plenty too.

yep, the risk apparently is that his stomach will bleed :(

So hes woofing down oat hay and pellets atm. And I have sent someone to Spar to see if they have any gaviscon.

Did the vet give you an idea of the signs you need to keep watch for?

Just a thought as, apart from looking generally unwell, I'm not sure myself what other symptoms there would be if there is a problem.

yep, the risk apparently is that his stomach will bleed :(

So hes woofing down oat hay and pellets atm. And I have sent someone to Spar to see if they have any gaviscon.

Gaviscon ? I think if it were me I'd be concentrating on dilution, just thinking that you don't want to inadvertently make him 'off' his food if you see what I mean, your decision but just saying what I'd do personally.

Back