• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leg absess in French Lop - horrible - BAD NEWS

Prettyprincess

Young Bun
Hello Today I picked my French Lop Poppy up from the kennels after being away for the week and noticed a big swelling on her back leg joint. I touched it and all this pus like fowl smelling squirtty cheese came out! I cut the fur off and OMG I have never seen anything like it. Pus after pus came out and the smell. It is terrible. I took her to the emergency vet and he gave her a baytril injection and she has to have baytril for 10 days but he thinks it may have gone in to the bone. Which could mean amputation.

I have heard Manuka honey is good for healing. She doesnt seem to be in pain but even so the vet doesn't think it will heal.

Any thoughts??? or suggestions please

Last edited:
Oh dear, EXACTLY where on her leg ? Her hock ?

Personally I would want a different antibiotic to Baytril. Is your Vet Rabbit savvy ?

Is your Bun able to take weight on the effected leg ?

I don't have any advice but sending lots of vibes the poor thing.

Did the kennels not notice this? Quite frankly I find it disgusting that they didn't seek treatment!

Oh you poor things!!!!!
I have a friend who's doe is doing very well on 3 legs following an amputation for a hind leg abscess.
I truely hope it doesn't come to that though!
If she's going to be on lots of antibiotics get her on a probiotic (gentrix do one you can add to her pellets which she should like) as you'll avoid gut problems. Also a good idea if she's not so mobile.

Lots of cuddles will help both of you too xxxx

Hello Today I picked my French Lop Poppy up from the kennels after being away for the week and noticed a big swelling on her back leg joint. I touched it and all this pus like fowl smelling squirtty cheese came out! I cut the fur off and OMG I have never seen anything like it. Pus after pus came out and the smell. It is terrible. I took her to the emergency vet and he gave her a baytril injection and she has to have baytril for 10 days but he thinks it may have gone in to the bone. Which could mean amputation.

I have heard Manuka honey is good for healing. She doesnt seem to be in pain but even so the vet doesn't think it will heal.

Any thoughts??? or suggestions please

Its on her heel the bendy bone before her BIG foot. The smell omg! She is still putting her weight down but that foot is dragging. I am just going to bathe it now.

She is eating and biting as normal, She is such a beautiful character :cry:

No he didn't swab or anything just gave baytril. I am going to go to another vet for a 2nd opinion. I am getting myself in a state. I can't bare it. I think she should have had better treatment
:cry:

if you post a thread titled 'rabbit savvy vet wanted in XXXXXX' (whereever you live) you should get a good rabbit vet recommended - good luck - I agree with Jacks Jane!

I'm in clitheroe, lancashire. I have just bathed her and dried her off, I have bandaged her up for night time as I don't want it getting dirty. She is sat of the sofa now as happy as larry being stroked by my other half and grinding her teeth

Does she normally grind her teeth?

I'm in clitheroe, lancashire. I have just bathed her and dried her off, I have bandaged her up for night time as I don't want it getting dirty. She is sat of the sofa now as happy as larry being stroked by my other half and grinding her teeth

I'm not as rabbit savvy as everyone else on here I admit, but I agree you should get her antibiotics changed, as my vet suggested taking my rabbit off of baytril and switching to injections of penicillin for these reasons:
-The injections don't have to bypass the gut meaning they go straight to the system and are fully absorbed without some of it being destroyed
- By not passing the gut, her balance of bacterias stay good
- The injections are less frequent (for instance, one jab every 48 hours as opposed to forcing a syringe down her mouth twice a day)

This would be especially helpful if she is going to be on them long-term. Tila was on Baytril for several months at a time, and you could often see (and smell!!!) the difference in his gut bacteria by the change in his poos.
Perhaps just ask your vet about what will be most effective and safe for her when you take her for your 2nd opinion. :wave:

I'm not as rabbit savvy as everyone else on here I admit, but I agree you should get her antibiotics changed, as my vet suggested taking my rabbit off of baytril and switching to injections of penicillin for these reasons:
-The injections don't have to bypass the gut meaning they go straight to the system and are fully absorbed without some of it being destroyed
- By not passing the gut, her balance of bacterias stay good
- The injections are less frequent (for instance, one jab every 48 hours as opposed to forcing a syringe down her mouth twice a day)

This would be especially helpful if she is going to be on them long-term. Tila was on Baytril for several months at a time, and you could often see (and smell!!!) the difference in his gut bacteria by the change in his poos.
Perhaps just ask your vet about what will be most effective and safe for her when you take her for your 2nd opinion. :wave:

I agree. :wave:
I don't think Baytril is strong enough to deal with rabbit abscesses either. They have a thick 'wall' which contains the puss.
I've had success with depocillin injections to treat two jaw abscesses.

UPdate

Poppy had a good night, I have bathed her again this morning and dried her with the hair dryer. Got more pus out, then gave her 1ml of Baytril, She is now back in situ on the sofa being water syringed and pampered she seems ok, she has just tried to flop. Fingers crossed..........Now munching barley rings

Last edited:
She's a chilled out bunny if she'll let you use the hair dryer on her!!!!! One of mind did at some point as I recall but he was Mr Chill!!!!!
Dilute her batril 1 part antibiotic and 4 parts water as it will make it less stingy in her mouth but yes the others are right.....sometimes/frequently batryl isn't much cop for bun abscesses.
Hope she has a lovley evening cuddled up to you xxxx

Poppy had a good night, I have bathed her again this morning and dried her with the hair dryer. Got more pus out, then gave her 1ml of Baytril, She is now back in situ on the sofa being water syringed and pampered she seems ok, she has just tried to flop. Fingers crossed..........Now munching barley rings

Back