• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting another bunny?

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
What is your opinion on this?

I have had Bailey and Binky for 2 months now. I love them to pieces and can't imagine not having them.

But I've seen all the bunnies wanting homes :(

I don't know if I can afford another - well I could do. I'd make sure I could.

But would it be fair to my 2 now? They're house rabbits. I wouldn't like to risk bonding another rabbit incase it affected their bond with each other.

What about fostering? How does that work? I could keep another bunny/pair in the shed.

Would my 2 get jealous? I imagine they'd be able to smell another bunny on me?

I wouldn't like to bring another in the house because I don't want these 2 to begin remarking their territory!

Opinions?

If you were to go for a threesome then you would be best getting them bonded at a rescue to you can be more sure the bond wont break down and you ending up with a single bunny. Lots of people on here keep more than one set of bunnies without it upseting their bonds but it depends on your rabbits. Benji and Lilou tend to start fighting when they are close to other bunnies but my others dont seem too worried.
You would have to neutralise your house so they would start territory marking as a threesome, unless you are thinking would would put them in the shed setup? to be honest all of mine except jeremy prefer to live outside. I wanted a 3some or a 4some but ended up with two pairs and a single plus two single foster bunnies so just know your limits. :):)

I feel absolutely the same as you. Don't want to risk getting any more though as we looked after 2 buns for a friend and we made the mistake of bringing them to ours. The friend's buns were in a cage in our room and Rosie tried to attack one through the bars, we had to take them straight back to their own house. It upset Rosie and Ted's bonding for a few days and led to remarking like you say :(

We couldn't put buns outside as I'd feel so guilty we had some in the house which got so much more attention :(:(.

Loads of people do though so I'm sure people will be along with more positive responses :D

Thanks guys for the advice.

I would like to look into fostering more closely. How do I go about that?

If I kept a rabbit or a pair in the shed at least it is a comfortable, temporary home for them, which is better than what some have anyway. I would get out there and give them as much attention as possible of course. Need to rig up a light in there actually...

So, what do I do? I'm in the East Midlands, High Peak area. x

Fostering is not as easy as you would think.... only because you end up falling for them and not wanting to find them a new home because no one is as good as you :lol: I have fostered 2 bunnies nad ended up keeping both!!

If you want to foster you could speak to a rescue and offer your services, if they have too many rabbits in for their accomodation, or one with special needs they might use you.

I had 2 threesomes which worked really well and one that didn't, so it depends on the attitudes of your bunnies as to whether it works or not, Personally I think my group of 4 worked the best, I think even numbers work best as then no one is left out.

It does take a lot of thinking, why not even try to give up some time to work at a local animal/bunny rescue to spend some time helping with the buns?
That way you can help enrich their lives in a rescue and get to know the bunnies there so you can work out which one/s would work best with your 2 :)
Also if you get from a rescue they should neuter, vaccinate and bond them all for you :D

Thanks Mich - I will look into it - I've messaged a few 'local' shelters.

Thing is, in the Peak District, local is up to an hour away!

Back