• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Rabbits' rights" column in the Indy today

Yes, it was a good piece (yesterday) and I think lots of people have shared it on FB too.

Hope many more articles get written in the coming weeks, months and days that try to address the issues affecting rabbits and their lack of correct care in the UK

Yep - I've shared it on facebook now too. Thank you for highlighting!

We got both our girls from our next door neighbour after Juno's "accidental" litter and sometimes the way they keep their remaining rabbits makes me want to do a guerilla raid. We do our best to tell them that they need to be doing more but it's hard to without crossing the line and making enemies of the people you live cheek by jowl with. The worst thing is that their hearts are in the right place and it is purely ignorance and I think that's the case with most people. There is however a line from "Black Beauty" that is pertinent:

"Only ignorance? Only ignorance! Don't you know that ignorance is the next worst thing to wickedness?"

Yep - I've shared it on facebook now too. Thank you for highlighting!

We got both our girls from our next door neighbour after Juno's "accidental" litter and sometimes the way they keep their remaining rabbits makes me want to do a guerilla raid. We do our best to tell them that they need to be doing more but it's hard to without crossing the line and making enemies of the people you live cheek by jowl with. The worst thing is that their hearts are in the right place and it is purely ignorance and I think that's the case with most people. There is however a line from "Black Beauty" that is pertinent:

"Only ignorance? Only ignorance! Don't you know that ignorance is the next worst thing to wickedness?"

Excellent post :thumb:

I'm pleased to see major newspapers treating rabbit care seriously - maybe this will begin to dispel the "but it's only a rabbit" misconception.

ETA just read the article properly and am even moe impressed, it's very caefully thought out and well written and I think will appeal even to non-rabbitty-people (I couldn't think of a better way to word that, sorry)

Last edited:
I thought it was written so intelligently, with such force and passion. So much so that I have spent the last 10 minutes looking up the author, and reading his website.

NOT to take away from his article, it was all a little bit spoilt for me to read in his personal details section that his hobbies included hunting rats and rabbits with his dog Ruby !!!! :(

If he is a rabbit hunter then it's even more commendable that he should be willing to put a piece in the paper for Rabbit Awareness week.
Besides as long as he's highlighting the plight of pet rabbits that's good, and maybe he will think a little about what he's written and stop hunting rabbits.

sue:wave:

Yes I hope that too, and that he is not just someone who is clever with words.....
his article about the tv show windfarm wars was also well thought out.

Just wish his sentence "Animals, the message goes, exist for the amusement of humans. Their welfare is of trivial concern. They are as expendable as any toy." didn't fit so badly with hunting said animals!!! :?

Back