• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pansy Flowers

abi2047

Mama Doe
Is it too late to start growing Pansy's for Riley and the piggies? Does anyone know how long they take to grow?

Rather than growing from seed you could buy some grown plants. You can get a pack of 6 from loads of places for about £2-£3. As they increase in size you can nip off a few leaves and flowers which will encourage them to bush out and grow more. I think you can grow winter pansies from seed now if you like.

I'm not sure how long they take to reach maturity but they will live through the winter so you can pretty much sow them whenever you like...

But yes it would be a lot quicker to get some ready grown plants :) You can usually pick some up cheaply from markets or by getting reduced-to-clear ones from garden centres.

Thanks guys. Going to town on Wednesday so I'll have a look around. Going to get some herbs as well to grow but I think it might be a little too late. :?

They should be fine as long as you keep them moist, I sow stuff successionally all through summer so I always have some ready for picking. If you sow loads in one go at the beginning there's too much to use at once :)

What herbs are you thinking of growing?

They should be fine as long as you keep them moist, I sow stuff successionally all through summer so I always have some ready for picking. If you sow loads in one go at the beginning there's too much to use at once :)

What herbs are you thinking of growing?

Basil, parsley, mint, coriander, thyme, dill. I haven't got a clue which ones are actually going to grow. :lol:

Basil, parsley, mint, coriander, thyme, dill. I haven't got a clue which ones are actually going to grow. :lol:

I have had good results with parsley, coriander and dill from seed - to prepare the parsley seeds either soak them in water overnight before sowing, or water them in with hot water once they're sown.

Thyme and mint I tend to buy as little plants cos they get established quicker that way...you can usually get a plant for £1 in Morrisons (I flipping LOVE Morrisons for plants, such good bargains!) mint is pretty much unkillable so you'll be fine there.

I'm not fit to comment on basil because it hates me, I always manage to kill it somehow :oops:

I have had good results with parsley, coriander and dill from seed - to prepare the parsley seeds either soak them in water overnight before sowing, or water them in with hot water once they're sown.

Thyme and mint I tend to buy as little plants cos they get established quicker that way...you can usually get a plant for £1 in Morrisons (I flipping LOVE Morrisons for plants, such good bargains!) mint is pretty much unkillable so you'll be fine there.

I'm not fit to comment on basil because it hates me, I always manage to kill it somehow :oops:

Yeah mum came home yesterday with bags full of plants etc from morrisons. Will ask her if she can take me up in the car on Wednesday. I'll probably end up killing them. :oops: :lol:

Yeah mum came home yesterday with bags full of plants etc from morrisons. Will ask her if she can take me up in the car on Wednesday. I'll probably end up killing them. :oops: :lol:

they sell strawberry plants bunnies love their leaves, even veggies to grow your own

Please dont jump on me. Riley ate some of the lobeila leaves earlier when mum put them on the step outside. What should I do with riley? :(

You could call the vet. When my cat ate a plant (forget what it was now) we called the vet and he was really helpful and put our minds at ease. :)

Back