• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My grandad is getting a rabbit :(

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
He was given a 4foot double hutch, he wants a 'small' rabbit, even tried to persade me to let him have my Matilda :censored::censored::censored: whic obviously was a NO WAY!!

there's no dout he is going to look after it, he knows about the jabs etc, and has lino in the hutch, and knows about neuting etc, but he has a dog!!!

an old jack russel, he is a hunter!!! and he (to use a horrid word) shreaded the next door neighbours rabbit!:cry: they had the rabbit in a run in the front garden and harry got into the run and yh enough said

I've tried soo hard to warn him against getting one but he will not have it!! he is older than me and clearly noes best:evil: :roll:

he recons its going to stay in the hutch, but come out and have full run of the garden and keep harry inside when he does

I have told my nan that I have a spare hutch if/WHEN harry won't leave the poor bun alone!! I wish I could do more

He won't listen to anyone! I don't want to even go and see the rabbit cos I no what will eventually happen :(

He was given a 4foot double hutch, he wants a 'small' rabbit, even tried to persade me to let him have my Matilda :censored::censored::censored: whic obviously was a NO WAY!!

there's no dout he is going to look after it, he knows about the jabs etc, and has lino in the hutch, and knows about neuting etc, but he has a dog!!!

an old jack russel, he is a hunter!!! and he (to use a horrid word) shreaded the next door neighbours rabbit!:cry: they had the rabbit in a run in the front garden and harry got into the run and yh enough said

I've tried soo hard to warn him against getting one but he will not have it!! he is older than me and clearly noes best:evil: :roll:

he recons its going to stay in the hutch, but come out and have full run of the garden and keep harry inside when he does

I have told my nan that I have a spare hutch if/WHEN harry won't leave the poor bun alone!! I wish I could do more

He won't listen to anyone! I don't want to even go and see the rabbit cos I no what will eventually happen :(

Sadly you can't stop him, you can however report him if he doesn't look after it adequately and is putting the animal at risk.

He might surprise you, I'd endevour to work with him, encourage him to rescue and go for a pair of rabbits - do you know why he is wanting a rabbit? What is the reason he's given as to why he wants a rabbit as a pet at his age? :wave:

Sadly you can't stop him, you can however report him if he doesn't look after it adequately and is putting the animal at risk.

He might surprise you, I'd endevour to work with him, encourage him to rescue and go for a pair of rabbits - do you know why he is wanting a rabbit? What is the reason he's given as to why he wants a rabbit as a pet at his age? :wave:

oo he would look after it etc theres no dout about that, it wouldn't want for nothing!

he won't have 2 cos he said he couldn't cope with 2 but then said off his own back, cos there will only be one he will have to interect with it alot etc!!

I don't know why he wants one! he used to have ALOT of rabbits as a child, so maybe that :/ not sure

he has put extra fox proof wire over the hutch wire, for extra harry protection, but I keep trying to tell him, once a dog is fixated on it theres no stopping him!!

I think there will be no changing his mind, just say if Harry won't leave it alone and the rabbit looks stressed, you have a spare hutch for it. And leave it at that, and of course cross your fingers!

My two ended up in rescue because a new family dog wouldn't leave them alone and it really stressed them out. Lets hope your Granddad spots when they're stressed!

oo he would look after it etc theres no dout about that, it wouldn't want for nothing!

he won't have 2 cos he said he couldn't cope with 2 but then said off his own back, cos there will only be one he will have to interect with it alot etc!!

I don't know why he wants one! he used to have ALOT of rabbits as a child, so maybe that :/ not sure

he has put extra fox proof wire over the hutch wire, for extra harry protection, but I keep trying to tell him, once a dog is fixated on it theres no stopping him!!

He'd do well to get a playpen round the hutch aswell to prevent the dog 'worrying' the rabbit by getting too close, sounds like he is being a bit silly about it, maybe he is bored? You can only advise sadly although I sympathise with your frustration - I'd probably go spac if it were me - I think if your really worried try explaining to him that the dog can actually 'stress' the rabbit by staring or getting too close - he might buy a playpen to go round the hutch and he is going to have to be very very careful before he lets that rabbit out that someone else doesn't open the back door by mistake - game over! Fingers crossed he gets really attached to the rabbit and will have a change of heart and get a more suitable hutch and a partner for it and a secure run.

He'd do well to get a playpen round the hutch aswell to prevent the dog 'worrying' the rabbit by getting too close, sounds like he is being a bit silly about it, maybe he is bored? You can only advise sadly although I sympathise with your frustration - I'd probably go spac if it were me - I think if your really worried try explaining to him that the dog can actually 'stress' the rabbit by staring or getting too close - he might buy a playpen to go round the hutch and he is going to have to be very very careful before he lets that rabbit out that someone else doesn't open the back door by mistake - game over! Fingers crossed he gets really attached to the rabbit and will have a change of heart and get a more suitable hutch and a partner for it and a secure run.

yhh i've told him i would take it if harry wouldn't leave it but i got.. ohh he will be fine :roll:

he won't get a bigger hutch cos he is still living in the olden days where hutch sizes didn't matter

soo annoying, i feel totally helpless :(

Back