• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Muesli's Hips

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
We noticed the other day that Muesli's hips dont seem quite right. They have always felt odd because he has a bit of muscle loss due to kidney problems. He has put some weight on lately and generally looking a lot healthier. The odd thing is that on one side you can feel his hip and thigh, but on the other, I couldnt feel his hip and thigh at all. Its like it is just not there.

OH as normal thought I was being over-sensitive, but took him to the vets today. Vet wasnt usual bunny-savvy vet, but she looked at his x-ray from a few months ago - no sign then of any damage, no broken bones, no muscle wasteage. I think sometime before that he landed awkwardly when jumping from the sofa, he held the weight off his foot and the vet gave him Loxicom, but no lasting damage (to our knowledge) as by the next few days he was hopping about normally and as I say the subsequent x-ray (which was for his kidneys/bladder) didnt show anything.

Vet can't understand as if it was kidney related she thinks it would be on both sides and if a break/sprain it would have shown on the x-ray. Added to this that Muesli never looks in any pain, he is always lively, always periscoping on both legs, always inquisitive, always likes to try and get down the stairs etc. But there is definitely muscle loss there. If arthritis as well, she would expect it to be on both sides.

I feel awful like we must have missed this somehow, but he has never limped on it except the incident above, which was before the x-ray, and no damage showing on x-ray and apart from the day or two where he was not weight-bearing on that leg, has never shown any further problems with it.

He is seeing the bunny-savvy vet on Tues, but I just feel awful like how can we have missed this, how long for, has he been in any pain and what has happened? :cry:

Did you take him because you suspect muscle loss Helen and the vet confirmed that there is?:wave:

Yes pretty much. But just on the one side, which is really odd.

(Sorry if my opening summary was waffly)

It doesn't sound as though he's been in pain if he's been that active.

Just a thought....I wonder if he got into the habit of keeping his weight off the foot that was hurt after it healed, just slightly? not enough to cause an obvious limp but enough to change the amount the muscle on that side was being used?

Another thing to check would be between the "toes" on that foot to see if there could be any anomaly that would cause him to shift his weight from that side.

I do hope the bunny savvy vet will have some answers for you.
sue:wave:

Yes pretty much. But just on the one side, which is really odd.

(Sorry if my opening summary was waffly)

No don't apologise I just couldn't make out if the vet actually confirmed an issue or not, I think it's really wonderful your that observant, I'm just worried you might spend a lot of money on a inconclusive diagnosis - if he seems alright the only thing I'd maybe be thinking about doing is increasing activity that might help build muscle a bit? Mine will periscope up for certain things like dill for example or a crunchie you could maybe incorporate a couple of those a day using his dinner or a herb sprig and build on that much like physio start with 2 and increase daily ?:wave:

No don't apologise I just couldn't make out if the vet actually confirmed an issue or not, I think it's really wonderful your that observant, I'm just worried you might spend a lot of money on a inconclusive diagnosis - if he seems alright the only thing I'd maybe be thinking about doing is increasing activity that might help build muscle a bit? Mine will periscope up for certain things like dill for example or a crunchie you could maybe incorporate a couple of those a day using his dinner or a herb sprig and build on that much like physio start with 2 and increase daily ?:wave:

Thanks Vicki. I should probably clarify...the vet thinks there is an issue....but isnt sure what the issue is...or why its happened...she isnt a bunny-savvy vet so has recommended we take him to see the other vet at the surgery on Tuesday, so hopefully it will just be a consult fee. I'm just glad the vet could confirm there's no discomfort or anything broken.

He does naturally do a lot of periscoping - way more than any of the other buns, he periscopes at least 2 or 3 times before each mealtime and during the day (in the hope of treats :lol:) and also when exploring - its like he is doing his own physio. I guess the one side is good and strong but the other seems just non-existant, when you feel him :? :(

It doesn't sound as though he's been in pain if he's been that active.

Just a thought....I wonder if he got into the habit of keeping his weight off the foot that was hurt after it healed, just slightly? not enough to cause an obvious limp but enough to change the amount the muscle on that side was being used?

Another thing to check would be between the "toes" on that foot to see if there could be any anomaly that would cause him to shift his weight from that side.

I do hope the bunny savvy vet will have some answers for you.
sue:wave:

Thats interesting, I hadnt thought of that. Something to mention to the rabbit-savvy vet, thank you for that suggestion.

The vet did check his toes and feet, she said that the nails were slightly more worn down on the other side (the more muscle-y side) so that would suggest he weight-bears more on the other side.

Thanks.

Back