• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help please!

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
Bunnies had their VHD vaccine yesterday - today there are lots of cecotrophes around, - they never left them before -

should I worry?

They seem ok - not as lively as usual but not totally 'un'lively.

Lots of lying down - more than usual.

Both are eating hay now,

Its possible that their cecotrophs just dont taste right after the injection so they are leaving them. Hopefully it will only be a short-term thing. I think the recommendation when there are excess cecals is to encourage them to eat plenty of hay. And keep an eye on them to make sure they are eating and drinking ok, not looking uncomfortable or anything.

Hopefully someone else will be along with advice very soon.

ETA: was it Cylap injection or Lapinject?

Last edited:
Thanks. I took them to the vet as Bailey was really not herself, despite having a complete mad half hour last night (also unusual).

I'm not sure which injection it was.

The vet checked Bailey over and said she seems fine, it might just be tiring after the injection as, with humans as well, it can knock you for 6 a bit, and not always immediately afterwards.

She gave Bailey some gut motility just in case although she said it sounds ok.

Bailey is seeming ok now, but Binky has gone quiet! Maybe it will be the same for her. She's nibbling at hay though and has eaten a few pellets so I hope they'll be back to normal soon.

They will be happy though, because they got a big hay ball out of the visit from the vet as I spotted it for sale - looks yummy!

I am glad Bailey is doing ok and that you got her to the vet.

I know that there are sometimes side effects particularly with the Cylap VHD injection, which possibly includes stasis, but I have to say honestly I couldnt tell you any more because my buns dont get Cylap so I havent had to really look in to it. :oops:

But anyway I do hope they are back to their normal selves soon. Hope Binky will be ok. Sending nomming vibes, keep an eye on them x

Yes - she's had a few dandelion leaves a few herbs and a few pellets so I'm making sure she keeps eating. She's not interested in water though - but I'm going to give her an hour or so - she probably is tired from the drive to the vets and the stress of it all -

lots of soft poo's around, but mixed in with hard ones - they seem to have forgotten they have a litter tray?! I'll let it slide as they're not feeling too good!

hope they both feel better soon - get as much hay as you can into them as if their poops taste weird, they won't eat them:)

Back