• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you with male/female pairs...

Are your pairs related or not?

• Unrelated

Votes: 54 81.8%
  • Brother and sister

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Different relation

Votes: 7 10.6%

• Total voters

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Are they brother and sister or unrelated? I'm just curious whether related or unrelated buns have a stronger bond. Olly and Honey are brother and sister, they're 9 months old but have only been rebonded (after separating for neutering) for 2.5 months. They don't seem particularly close at all really, not like I expected! They do groom each other and snuggle sometimes, but they don't snuggle a lot :? And Honey likes to eat hay while Olly's asleep because he tends to take over! There's been a bit of humping going on the last few days, on both sides :? Neither of them likes being humped though!!

All are unrelated but I think some bunnies are just made for each other more than others.

A&B are, IMO, a match made in heaven.
Leo and Lois, even a year on, I'm still a bit dubious about as they have scuffles with fur pulling, humping and so on every now and again.

I think it just depends on the rabbits personality. Some humans aren't touchy feely and snuggeley all the time are they? :)

My bridge bunnies were brother and sister and I had them as a couple for 7 and a half years. Actually they were 6 months old when I got them.

They weren't that close either. The sister used to like to sit on her own. They would eat together but I don't think I ever really see them groom each other.

I only noticed the difference when the brother passed away and I got Sunshine. Little GB was so affectionate with him, so unlike what she was like with her brother.

Over all I think they were happy but not a loving couple. As my OH used to say, it was like they knew they were brother and sister.

Mine are brother and sister and it took a while to bond them after their neuters. I had to take a week off work and camped out in the living room with them (slept in there too) and even after me thinking we'd cracked it, a few weeks later they had a fight!

They've been together since September and now they absolutely love each other to bits ..... they don't alway snuggle together but whatever one does, the other follows. Rascal (boy) is the dominant one so Dizzi does most of the grooming but he does give her a good groom now and again!

The bond grows stronger over time .....well, that's been the case with my two.

Not sure that any of that actually helps! lol

I've got a brother and sister who have to live apart, failed to rebond after neuter, several attempts but no go unfortunatley.

I think it's just their nature/characters - Maisy is willing to give it a go but wants to be the dominant one and Fizz is more nervous, on his guard and doesn't trust her so is ready for fisty-cuffs all the time.

I've got one unrelated pair who get on ok with each other and never fight, but I wouldn't say they're loved up

I've got another pair would could be related (they were from an rspca rescue where there were loads of rabbits living together) they're more like best mates than lovers and they get up to mischief together

Mini and Mischa are father and daughter (yes I know, but I didn't at the time) and have a very strong bond. Nutmeg and Smudge are unrelated and have their chasey moments but I think that's more due to Nutmeg's personality.

i have two of the m/f pairs, each are very devoted and not related, coco had never had a bunny freind before and its made him a much lovelier bunny and arthur too was a lonely starved bunny he is just the sweetest rabbit ever now, him and his wife bun dora are inseperable dora wont eat without him there! which is lovely but does cause some issues such as when im trying to feed her up as she lost weight due to illness x

Pat and Bob are brother and sister, definitely are more like best mates than hubby and wifebun! They both groom and snuggle, Bob is dominant though and sometimes has to chase Pat to make sure she remembers!

5638032404_7e2fa32220.jpg

:love:

Can you add an 'other' option? For those of us with all of the above.

I have brothers and sisters, brothers, sisters, husbands and wives and I have to say that as an average of those I see, that unrelated male and female pairings have the strongest bonds - like man and wife. It is from love and not just compnanionship. Those who are siblings (again only in my experience) can often end up fighting or just chasing on and off for the whole of their lives.

I have a brothers and unrelated female in a trio and the boys have always chased, even before the trio. They are better with the female added but still chase at food time.

I have a pair of sisters who adore each other but still chase at regular intervals. They are 5 1/2 half and I've just bonded them with my 10yr old fella and again this works very well to diffuse some of the behaviour.

I have just taken in a brother and sister pair and they do get on really well so far but they are very young and I find that often siblings fall out or loose their affection when they get older sometimes.

I have had the occasional situation where mixed pairs also fall out but this is less frequent.

It's a multiple choice poll, you can choose all of them if you need to :wave:

Can you add an 'other' option? For those of us with all of the above.

I have brothers and sisters, brothers, sisters, husbands and wives and I have to say that as an average of those I see, that unrelated male and female pairings have the strongest bonds - like man and wife. It is from love and not just compnanionship. Those who are siblings (again only in my experience) can often end up fighting or just chasing on and off for the whole of their lives.

I have a brothers and unrelated female in a trio and the boys have always chased, even before the trio. They are better with the female added but still chase at food time.

I have a pair of sisters who adore each other but still chase at regular intervals. They are 5 1/2 half and I've just bonded them with my 10yr old fella and again this works very well to diffuse some of the behaviour.

I have just taken in a brother and sister pair and they do get on really well so far but they are very young and I find that often siblings fall out or loose their affection when they get older sometimes.

I have had the occasional situation where mixed pairs also fall out but this is less frequent.

Charlie and Milly are unrelated :)
When Charlie lived with a sibling he was attacked a lot despite them only being babies

My pair are mother and son and got on great from day one of being put back together after being nuetered/spayed, not one fight or even minor scuffle.

Mine are step brother and sister (or something like that)

Lokis mother adopted Lady Titania when her own mother rejected her litter :love:

I have two firm and solid pairs, both unrelated. One pair is incredibly happy, and the other do a lot of chasing, as well as snuggling- but bear in mind both pairs have a 'problem' bunny in behaviour wise (which is why they are pairs and not more).

I have a pair coming along who are brothers and whilst they are bonding, they seem to be pretty snuggly although that's not too much of an indication of how it might progress in due course.

I have three trios.

One trio is two brothers and their sister, and one of the boys is a chaser of everyone.

One trio is two sisters and an unrelated, and the sisters are, for all intents and purposes, the same rabbit, so that one is more like a pair. Those two are the very closest I've ever seen two rabbits, ever.

The other trio is a boy and then two siblings (one female, one hermaphrodite) and they are just the nicest group, but if there is going to be any 'issues' it will be between the siblings, and Autumn (for all his behavioural faults and not understand he is a bunny and how bunnies act) plays the peacemaker.

Back