• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit First Aid kit

nessar

Warren Veteran
Now I've been thinking I need some stuff at home should the bunnies have a gut slow down or something in the night. Obviously if they need the emergency vet they will see them but I'd like stuff to sort of keep them going if its not that serious.
For example Barney had a gut slowdown in April due to needing a dental and he was still eating some veg and his pellets, just no hay. After the dental he still didnt pick up so we were given Science Recovery and Fibreplex as well as a gut stimulant.

Well I've just discovered you can buy Fibreplex and Recovery online.

What should I have in my bunny first aid box?

And what is the difference between Oxbow Critical Care and Science Recovery?

Now I've been thinking I need some stuff at home should the bunnies have a gut slow down or something in the night. Obviously if they need the emergency vet they will see them but I'd like stuff to sort of keep them going if its not that serious.
For example Barney had a gut slowdown in April due to needing a dental and he was still eating some veg and his pellets, just no hay. After the dental he still didnt pick up so we were given Science Recovery and Fibreplex as well as a gut stimulant.

And what is the difference between Oxbow Critical Care and Science Recovery?[/QUOTE]

Oh, I can answer this one!! I had only had SR up until February. Oxbow is so much smoother to syringe (it does not get stuck), the texture is better and I did not have to syringe my bunny as he licked it off the spoon (I know this may not always be the case though). The taste must be better and I think you can get a couple of flavours. I have only had the fine blend one.

It is more expensive than SR but a much bigger bag which is resealable and you can use for up to 6 months once opened.

I can't recommend it enough.

In my first aid kit I have:
Scissors
Nail clippers
Cotton wool buds
Cotton wool pads
Cornflour (in case cut too high on nails)
Gripe water
Infacol
Rearguard
Metacam
Oxbow Critical care

Anything else for me is straight up to the vets.

Last edited:

And what is the difference between Oxbow Critical Care and Science Recovery?

In my first aid box I have:-

Scissors
Nail clippers
Cotton buds
Cotton pads
Petkin Blood Stop Swabs
Oxbow Critical Care
Science Recovery
Metacam
Baytril
Fiberplex

Ohh and on the lid I have my vets emergency number just in case it is needed when I am not here (not that, that ever happens lol)

Oh and should I keep a tin of pineapple? Im sure I read somewhere it helps with stasis or something? :?

In my first aid kit I have the opening times of the vet and numbers:lol:

Anything I need from there on I'll get from them, I do have infacol and fibreplex and critical care but wouldn't administer anything till I've seen the vet.

I always ensure I have banana and dill/dandelion or plantain in the house - these are the fail safe tempting foods for mine, if they don't work it's off to the vet, I'm lucky as they are just down the road.

In my first aid kit I have:-

nail clippers
Scissors
cotton wool pads
Hibiscrub
Infacol
Apple & pear baby food
Sudocrem
Vaseline

No prescription drugs at the moment.

Back