• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you who dry plants for your rabbits

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
What do you store the dried stuff in?

I'm thinking paper bags would be best....if any of you use those, what size if most useful and where's the cheapest source?

Any other ideas also welcome, thanks :wave:

If I'm putting them away I use the big paper sacks that my rabbit pellets come in.
If I'm storing them to use them in the next few months I store them in wicker baskets

I get the brown paper bags off ebay - they're good if you buy in bulk.

I re-use mine over and over cos I like to get as much use as possible out of them :lol:

Thanks guys

I know this is an odd question but what size bags do you use...there are some cheap ones on amazon that are 7" square but I don't know if they're really big enough to be useful :? I don't want to buy 1000 then regret it!

I reuse the large potato sacks from Lidl, etc, or any other strong paper bag such as certain clothing outlet bags or Ikea. I cut and dried small branches from the allotment soft fruit last autumn and hung the full but open bags up in the walk in area under my stairs. The bags are ideal for branches about 12" long.

Boxes would do equally well eg cereal boxes for dry dandelion leaves. They would stop the leaves getting crushed but keep them fresh and dry.

Hey,

sorry to hijack the thread :oops: but i didn't realise plants could be dried! Is it anything, stuff like dandelions and their leaves, basically anything the buns can eat? And do you just leave it to dry in a paper bag, or do you put it in the oven?

Hey,

sorry to hijack the thread :oops: but i didn't realise plants could be dried! Is it anything, stuff like dandelions and their leaves, basically anything the buns can eat? And do you just leave it to dry in a paper bag, or do you put it in the oven?

Yes lots of bunnies nommies can be dried. I have put mine in paper bags with small holes for air and put them near the airing cupboard.

Hang in greenhouse in bunches or spread out on a wire, or spread on baking sheet in oven at 50 degrees C no higher for several hours, turning inbetween.

Store mine in cardboard boxes separated by layers of newspaper :wave:

If it's something that I just dry the leaves of Ive been scattering them on trays and air drying. If it's something they will eat the stalks too then I hang them up in bunches.

I dry mine in the airing cupboard :lol: or for bramble & apple leaves, just on a tray in the garage. Anywhere where there is good air circulation should be fine :) I store mine in paper bags & boxes, shoe boxes work well for me. I stack them on top of each other on a shelf & write on the front what's inside :D

Back