• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Akpo has a broken leg :(

Aurora

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Akpo was fine when we went to bed last night, but when I got up this morning she wasn't putting any weight on one of her paws, rushed her to the vets, they x-rayed (under g.a) and put a splint on, we have to go back in 2 weeks to check how it is healing.

I feel terrible :( I don't know how this has happened. Has anyone else had a bunny break a leg and the leg mend successfully?

My poor little girl is so puzzled by the splint, I really need some vibes and if anyone has any advice that would be great.

Just to add she has had pain relief.

Poor Akpo :( I hope it heals well. If it doesn't don't panic. My Billy broke his leg so bad it was amputated, but he manages fine on three legs!

I don't want to upset you by mentioning amputation, I hope I haven't. I'm sure it won't come to that and she'll be hopping around on four legs in no time! :)

Sending lots of vibes for Akpo xx

Poor Akpo :( I hope it heals well. If it doesn't don't panic. My Billy broke his leg so bad it was amputated, but he manages fine on three legs!

I don't want to upset you by mentioning amputation, I hope I haven't. I'm sure it won't come to that and she'll be hopping around on four legs in no time! :)

Sending lots of vibes for Akpo xx

Thanks :) I didn't realise Billy has three legs. Hoping it won't come to amputation but good to know that Akpo could still be a happy bunny on three legs.

Floppy broke his leg when he was around 14wks. One minute he was hopping happily around the kitchen, the next his front paw was hanging at a funny angle. It healed brilliantly and you would not know anything had happened other than a small callous on the bone.

The only thing the vets could find to stay on as a splint was two magnum ice lolly sticks.:lol::lol:

Poor Akpo.
Some rabbits do the daftest things. Do you reckon there was something she has jumped off and landed funnily, or could she have caught her leg between bars on a run or crate?

Loads of healing vibes for her.x

Parsnip broke his elbow :( which had to be pinned. However, it healed well and he's now fine. Unfortunately, because he broke right through the joint, the bone has regrown and fused the joint so he has no flexibility whatsoever in the elbow. Doesn't seem to affect his movement though - but he does struggle to retain balance when trying to groom the centre of his back. Other than that, he's fine.

Slightly different but Alfie dislocated his hock last year; his was pinned and he was up to his normal tricks in no time. He has developed a minor sore hock on the other foot now though, probably as a result of putting more weight on his good leg while at rest.

Amputation is always a possibility if the leg doesn't heal; the vet advised us the same when Alfie was treated, but bunnies do very well on 3 legs.

Sending lots of vibes for Akpo. :D:D

Vimto broke his front leg in March. Both bones were broken just above his paw. We think it was a freak accident when the strong winds blew part of a roofing panel off his run and hit him.

After the third cast in 2 weeks fell off (difficult to keep a cast on a tapered leg), he ended up with an amputation. Pinning was not an option due to the complicated fracture and the very narrow bones of a little bun. He coped really well with the op. My vet did a really neat job. Everything on the amputation side went perfectly.

We have had major problems with what we can really only describe as strange pressure sores on his 'good' side and we are still treating a (now tiny) abscess on the shoulder - and winning.

He is extremely lively and you wouldn't know he only had 3 legs now.

I have a bunny with a broken front leg.
He has had no treatment apart from painkillers for it as by the time I managed to bring him home he had had it for 3 weeks so there was no point in splinting it. He is on a high dose of metacam for it though and if the bone comes through the skin then it will have to be amputated. But so far it seems to have been fine!

Vibes for your little one :)

Poor Akpo.
Some rabbits do the daftest things. Do you reckon there was something she has jumped off and landed funnily, or could she have caught her leg between bars on a run or crate?

Loads of healing vibes for her.x

She was shut in the kitchen, so I think it must have been on the puppy crate :( poor little girl. I feel terrible still and am wondering if I should change their accommodation when I've got some money.

She's eating and pooping normally, and hopping around a bit, she looks a bit miserable though (understandably). I really hope it heals :(

Just an update in case anyone's wondering what's going on. Had to leave Akpo at the vets today to have her dressing changed as she's been desperately trying to pull it off. I've caught Alfie pulling at it too :shock: little monsters.

If anyone has any advice about how I can stop her chewing at it (other than giving her loads of chew toys which I've tried already!) that would be really helpful.

i'm sorry she keeps trying to pull it off. poor girl:( i always feel so awful when we're only trying to help them but they don't understand.

no idea on how to stop her pulling at it - unless you can fit a tiny sock on it? i know baby-grows have been used to stop buns getting at stitches but i've no experience with breaks.xxx

Back