• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paper based bedding?

helennnnnn

Wise Old Thumper
Just got off the phone with my vet and he suggested switching to a bedding made from paper rather than wood pulp. I've almost finished my massive bag of Megazorb so not too worried about that. Although I have got 3 big bags of Carefresh in the garage which is made of wood pulp, so don't know what I'm going to do with that :( (wasn't cheap either!)

Does anyone know of any good paper-based bedding? I don't want to use newspaper as I'm worried about him eating it. Which could be a problem in itself :? as he doesn't chew on the Megazorb which is good! I've got a couple of bags of stuff from P@H which is made from "paper and paper wool flakes" so I will switch to them tomorrow...

But any other ideas..?

Yesterdays News is paper based litter but pricey I think for what it actually is and it's very heavy when it's wet, I've tried it and prefer megazorb I just make sure I cover it really well with lots of hay.

Carefresh is made of wood pulp? :? I thought it was paper based?

Carefresh is supposed to be safe... You just don't want anything made of cedar/pine or dusty stuff. Carefresh isn't dusty in my experience though

You could try investigating paper bedding that is made for horses, I think there is a cardboard one too. There may be previous threads which will help - try the search button.

Carefresh is supposed to be safe... You just don't want anything made of cedar/pine or dusty stuff. Carefresh isn't dusty in my experience though

One of my buns keeps sneezing since I started using carefresh :( Sucks because I can get it cheap. Tyring a few days without it, just to check it is carefresh causing it

Yesterdays News is paper based litter but pricey I think for what it actually is and it's very heavy when it's wet, I've tried it and prefer megazorb I just make sure I cover it really well with lots of hay.

Thanks, I'll have a look. Like I said, I want to switch from Megazorb completely so don't want to just put hay on top! Shame really because I really like it too!

I thought it was paper too :( But no, it's wood pulp. I know it's not supposed to be dusty, but the vet said to switch to something paper in case of allergies.

You could try investigating paper bedding that is made for horses, I think there is a cardboard one too. There may be previous threads which will help - try the search button.

I have tried searching but as most people seem to recommend using Megazorb etc, I just wanted to see if people had experience of using other things and how good they were. I'll have a look at your link though, thanks.

I would just use newspaper and hay or straw then. Maybe you could try the newspaper and see if he eats it?

One of my buns keeps sneezing since I started using carefresh :( Sucks because I can get it cheap. Tyring a few days without it, just to check it is carefresh causing it

Out of interest, what were you using before switching to Carefresh?

If you've got a chewer /eater of litter then you could always try using mud from the garden covered in hay, I take it he is digging in his tray to get to the megazorb or newspaper so maybe if you providing a digging box with mud and grass on top (buy a roll of turf) he wouldn't dig in the litter tray, just a thought - if your unable to do that I'd go with just straw and hay and change it / rinse it a couple of times a day the tray not the hay/straw :lol:

If you've got a chewer /eater of litter then you could always try using mud from the garden covered in hay, I take it he is digging in his tray to get to the megazorb or newspaper so maybe if you providing a digging box with mud and grass on top (buy a roll of turf) he wouldn't dig in the litter tray, just a thought - if your unable to do that I'd go with just straw and hay and change it / rinse it a couple of times a day the tray not the hay/straw :lol:

He doesn't eat the Megazorb, don't think he likes the look of it :lol: It's just newspaper he likes nibbling on. I've just finished off the Megazorb in his tray/cage today so I think I'll give newspaper another go tomorrow/Monday while I'm at home all day and can keep an eye on him and his chewing habits! I do put Megazorb in his cage too though just to line the bottom of it so he's not walking on the plastic. I might try putting a fleecy blanket or something in the bottom instead, he doesn't tend to wee in his cage any more... touch wood!

Out of interest, what were you using before switching to Carefresh?

I had newspaper then woodshavings then hay on top of that. When I was reading the forum about woodshavings not being great I switched to Carefresh. However like I said yesterday Ivy has been sneezing the last few days and all I can put it down to is the carefresh as she is her normal self :?
Ive just changed their litter tray to newspaper and a lot of hay...fingers crossed she stops :)

He doesn't eat the Megazorb, don't think he likes the look of it :lol: It's just newspaper he likes nibbling on. I've just finished off the Megazorb in his tray/cage today so I think I'll give newspaper another go tomorrow/Monday while I'm at home all day and can keep an eye on him and his chewing habits! I do put Megazorb in his cage too though just to line the bottom of it so he's not walking on the plastic. I might try putting a fleecy blanket or something in the bottom instead, he doesn't tend to wee in his cage any more... touch wood!

I put a new sheets of newspaper down under the hay....my 2 don't seem to mind. I just make sure they cant get to the corners by folding them underneath the sheets

I had newspaper then woodshavings then hay on top of that. When I was reading the forum about woodshavings not being great I switched to Carefresh. However like I said yesterday Ivy has been sneezing the last few days and all I can put it down to is the carefresh as she is her normal self :?
Ive just changed their litter tray to newspaper and a lot of hay...fingers crossed she stops :)

Yeah I switched from wood shavings to Megazorb. He's always been sneezy so it was impossible to tell whether the bedding was making a difference or not! But the Megazorb even makes me sneeze a bit :?

Yeah I switched from wood shavings to Megazorb. He's always been sneezy so it was impossible to tell whether the bedding was making a difference or not! But the Megazorb even makes me sneeze a bit :?

I haven't heard her sneeze yet today but I am doing lots of housework so probably she's being drowned out. luckily I am home the next few days so I'll keep an ear out :)
I couldn't find a stockist for megazorb near me and was looking at ordering yesterdays news but its expensive if it doesn't work :roll:

I haven't heard her sneeze yet today but I am doing lots of housework so probably she's being drowned out. luckily I am home the next few days so I'll keep an ear out :)
I couldn't find a stockist for megazorb near me and was looking at ordering yesterdays news but its expensive if it doesn't work :roll:

I ordered the Megazorb online and it's lasted aaages so it was pretty good. Will be happy if I use newspaper and he doesn't feel the need to eat it though as obviously will be cheaper anyway! And I like the idea of him weeing on the Daily Mail (which is what my parents get!) as it's all it's good for :lol:

I ordered the Megazorb online and it's lasted aaages so it was pretty good. Will be happy if I use newspaper and he doesn't feel the need to eat it though as obviously will be cheaper anyway! And I like the idea of him weeing on the Daily Mail (which is what my parents get!) as it's all it's good for :lol:

:lol:
My OH gets a train everyday so he brings me home the Metro :lol:
The other day they had pee'd all over Lady Gaga :D

Back