• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having a BBQ on Sunday - worried about the bunnies

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
As the title says really. We've got about 20 people coming over on Sunday for a BBQ but I'm really worried that the noise and that many people milling about (including kids) will freak the rabbits out.... we haven't got a very big garden and the aviary takes up most of it so its a small space for so many people.

There's not really much I can do as they're in an aviary style set up so can't cover them over or anything.

What precautions do you take when having a 'get together'.

I suppose I could pray for rain so everyone stays indoors!!! :?

I've got no advice Im afraid but am interested in what people say as Im building a outside avairy in my in laws garden. They have bbqs in summer and also have grandchildren!

I've kind of avoided having people over for this reason!! :? I'd like to but the buns are in the house and if we had a party type thing I'm sure it would get noisy, and Honey especially wouldn't be happy... Good luck!! :wave:

Could you pop the bunnies inside in the house maybe for the day?

Thanks for your reply, I thought about that (briefly) but unfortunately there's nowhere to put them as all the bedrooms are being used by people staying over (and the bunnies are moulting so would mess up all those nice clean tidy bedrooms)..... our bedroom is full of the clutter that we've taken out of the other bedrooms and the buns absolutely hate being in a pen (plus I have no lid for the indoor pen and I reckon they could jump it easily now).

Hhhhhmmm might give it some more thought tho and see if its feesible.

Not sure which would stress them out most now tho, having to be penned in our bedroom or being outside with the noise!

As Blackers says could you maybe bring them inside into a room noone will go into (ie, your bedroom) for the duration of the BBQ?
That way they will be nice and quiet and you wont be worrying about them and telling everyone to shut up! :lol:

Actually thinking about it again ........ my best bet might be to bring them into our bedroom. I could always pet a sheet over the pen to stop them jumping out?!? Nobody would go in our bedroom and I could put them back out later on when things have quietened down a bit!

Do you think that would stress them less than a lot of noise?? We've had BBQ's outside before, just not with this many people! (they were fine with just a few people knocking about)!

Actually thinking about it again ........ my best bet might be to bring them into our bedroom. I could always pet a sheet over the pen to stop them jumping out?!? Nobody would go in our bedroom and I could put them back out later on when things have quietened down a bit!

Do you think that would stress them less than a lot of noise?? We've had BBQ's outside before, just not with this many people! (they were fine with just a few people knocking about)!

Is it going to be a civilised BBQ or a loud drunken affair?
If the latter, I think bringing them indoors to a quiet room for a few hours would be less stressful :wave:

Well the adults are all quite civilised .... there'll be no loud music or falling over! :lol:

I think its the kids I'm more worried about ....... they do have a tendency to get overly giddy and they appear to have no volume control!!! :shock:

Hope it goes well for all concerned. :wave: I would go for putting them indoors for the night personally, especially as they were indoors over the winter so it will not be entirely strange to them. Spenser has had a couple of 'sleepovers' for various reasons, and it didn't seem to bother him.

Could the bunnies book into a bunny bed and breakfast for the night?

Total peace of mind for you. No chance of any accidents, incidents happening.

Just a thought.

Back