• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

36 piggies with mites any suggestions

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
ive taken in 36 longhaired piggies it appears they all possibly have mites:cry: some are as young as 3 weeks old and completley bald:cry::cry:
can anyone suggest the best way to treat everyone, im waiting for my vets to call me back aswell, these poor little mites are scratching like crazy :cry:
also several are pregnant aswell

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :D

ive taken in 36 longhaired piggies it appears they all possibly have mites:cry: some are as young as 3 weeks old and completley bald:cry::cry:
can anyone suggest the best way to treat everyone, im waiting for my vets to call me back aswell, these poor little mites are scratching like crazy :cry:
also several are pregnant aswell

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :D

36! oh my goodness ,poor little things .

I guess you could either buy online treatment - prob cheaper - or take them all to vets - better because faster. Surely the vets would waive/reduce the consultation fee? Poor little piggies :(

poor little piggies:( have you had a look on gorgeous guineas? they have some great herbal remedies for mites. although it would take forever to bath all 36 of them! and speed is of the essence!

good luck
x

36:shock:
poor piggies.

i think ivermectin is the treatment - something at the back of my mind says the vets can use an injection to attempt to clear them quickly but i'm not sure - maybe pm char-x as she's a piggy genius:)

Yes ivermectin is the treatment, 3 injections spaced over a few weeks usually. Why have they all got mites, not a critism but worth looking at because in healthy animals they are usually able to fight them off. Have you got a bad batch of hay or is there a problem with where they live? As I say I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything but it is unusual that they would all have it. :)

Wow 36 :shock:

ivermectin is what I've always heard of as well. I hope a vet will reduce the cost for you

Yes ivermectin is the treatment, 3 injections spaced over a few weeks usually. Why have they all got mites, not a critism but worth looking at because in healthy animals they are usually able to fight them off. Have you got a bad batch of hay or is there a problem with where they live? As I say I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything but it is unusual that they would all have it. :)

They were rescued, so I'd imagine they weren't in the best of conditions.

Ah I see that explains it, poor piggies must have been in a bit of a state. The pet shops usually have shampoo as well that may help but I'm not sure if you can use with the injections but might be more suitable for the pregnant ones. I've had the odd one and it cleared up really quickly with the injection. Hope the piggies are feeling less itchy soon :wave:

ETA just reread you had taken them in, sorry 2 13 hour shifts in 2 days seems to have damaged my ability to retain info :lol:

Caroline, ivermectin in a drop bottle is the way to go with this amount, I have used this on pregnant sows before, there is a chance of still birth but the risk to the mum if you dont use anything is greater. I have also used a drop on 6 week old babies with no side effects. On the bald areas you could use Aloe Vera Gel to help cool the skin down.

http://www.vetpharmacy.co.uk/small-...s/pharmaq/ivermectin-drops-1-10ml-pd-961.html

I cant find my link which is a few pound cheaper, you have to weigh the piggies to find out how many drops to use.

You can use Vetsect shampoo which is an anti fungal and anti parasitic but would mean bathing. I cant find my link to this one either, but I am rushing so will send it to you later.

Caroline, ivermectin in a drop bottle is the way to go with this amount, I have used this on pregnant sows before, there is a chance of still birth but the risk to the mum if you dont use anything is greater. I have also used a drop on 6 week old babies with no side effects. On the bald areas you could use Aloe Vera Gel to help cool the skin down.

http://www.vetpharmacy.co.uk/small-...s/pharmaq/ivermectin-drops-1-10ml-pd-961.html

I cant find my link which is a few pound cheaper, you have to weigh the piggies to find out how many drops to use.

You can use Vetsect shampoo which is an anti fungal and anti parasitic but would mean bathing. I cant find my link to this one either, but I am rushing so will send it to you later.

This is what I used when we rescued a Guinea with mites (he cost me £60 at the vets for the injections and I had to treat the other 15 piggies as he had spread it:shock:) It was great and cleared it all up with no problems:D

This is what I used when we rescued a Guinea with mites (he cost me £60 at the vets for the injections and I had to treat the other 15 piggies as he had spread it:shock:) It was great and cleared it all up with no problems:D

:wave:Yes, I would say definitely treat yourself. You have to weigh the piggies and watch the dosage as an overdose can be fatal but treatment at the vets will be very expensive.

I've treated numerous times myself successfully and you can now even buy spot on which is effective and available online.

Back