• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cut on Ear

NLENG2000

Mama Doe
Lilly has had a very small cut on her ear which doesnt seem to be healing (I think she must have caught it on a bush or something when she was doing one of her mad bunny 500's around the garden!). It's been a few days now and still looks like a fresh wound (no scab etc). Is there anything I can do to encourage healing or do you think it needs a vet visit? Don't want to be a paranoid mummy, but don't want it to get infected (which it isnt at the moment) or anything nasty like that!

Any idea's anyone?

Some cuts on the ear can remain a permanent slit

Each side of the slit heals but not joined together iyswim

It is difficult to give much advice without being able to see the wound. Some can become quite nasty.

What Jane has said is what happened with my Fay, Alison, the two separate sides healed, but she will always have the slit. :(

Does it look inflamed at all? I had a vet check Fay's over, but then her's was quite deep :cry: - he mainly checked for any sign of infection.

Hope Lilly is ok.

Is it normal for it to look like it has just happened though - like a fresh blood colour. It really is a tiny nick and doesnt seem to be bothering her and doesnt look infected to me, but if you think I am not being paranoid, I will get her checked out! :)

If that wound or cut is not deep then get some piodene or antibacterial medicine from market.But if u think that can be the serious then immediate take your rabbit to doctor.Do not apply personal medication the.It can also effect hearing problems.

Is it normal for it to look like it has just happened though - like a fresh blood colour. It really is a tiny nick and doesnt seem to be bothering her and doesnt look infected to me, but if you think I am not being paranoid, I will get her checked out! :)

We cant see it so it is absolutely impossible to say for certain either 'it's fine, dont worry' or 'looks a bit nasty, vet check needed'.

So if you remain concerned best get the Vet to take a look :)

We cant see it so it is absolutely impossible to say for certain either 'it's fine, dont worry' or 'looks a bit nasty, vet check needed'.

So if you remain concerned best get the Vet to take a look :)

Fair point Jane. :oops:

I've had a closer look this morning and it has scabbed overnight, so hoping it's on the mend. Will keep an eye on it and if needs be get a vet appt later today.

Back