• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered male and unspayed female?? UD/ Teeth?

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
When Donny is neutered, can I bond him and Poppy?? She isn't spayed yet but that's because of her teeth :( I thought if she needed anything else done then he'd be good for her? And when she actually gets spayed, a companion? I was told by someone from the RSPCA you can put a neutered male and unspayed female together?? :? :rabbit2:

Edit: :) I'm going to get some Dill and stuff for Poppy. She loves a bit of broccoli and cauliflower but obviously can't have much of it. She can gnaw it off really well even though half of it ends up on the floor :) But all green or leafy things, and random bits of hay and food always falls out of her mouth and I don't know why? :? She won't lick things but which is why we syringe feed her but we are having to lessen the amount because she is starting to try and eat by herself:) Anyone have any ideas as to why she can't chew it properly? Her back teeth are really bad according to the vets but I wouldn't have thought it would stop her chewing :? And should I take the vets (this was another vet as our usual vet wasn't there so she didn't really know Poppy's issues) advice and have her teeth removed? Apparently they#ll all fall out anyway :?

Last edited:
Hi :wave:

In theory you can but then in theory you can put two un-neutered boys together too. Trouble is that in both scenarios they are very likely to fight and so neither are a very good idea.

Poppy will still have her hormones even if Donny has lost his and unspeyed females are likely to "fall out" with their partners, even if not initially further down the line there is a good chance it will happen. If you happen to be around when they have a fight you might be able to intervene but if you're not, serious damage could be done :(

ETA: it will actually be easier to have her speyed whilst she is solo because you needn't worry about the time that they are apart whilst she is having the op etc. She will also be able to recover quietly and as you will have to restrict the area she has access to for a couple of days until her wound has healed, this will be easier also :)

Last edited:
When Donny is neutered, can I bond him and Poppy?? She isn't spayed yet but that's because of her teeth :( I thought if she needed anything else done then he'd be good for her? And when she actually gets spayed, a companion? I was told by someone from the RSPCA you can put a neutered male and unspayed female together?? :? :rabbit2:

Edit: :) I'm going to get some Dill and stuff for Poppy. She loves a bit of broccoli and cauliflower but obviously can't have much of it. She can gnaw it off really well even though half of it ends up on the floor :) But all green or leafy things, and random bits of hay and food always falls out of her mouth and I don't know why? :? She won't lick things but which is why we syringe feed her but we are having to lessen the amount because she is starting to try and eat by herself:) Anyone have any ideas as to why she can't chew it properly? Her back teeth are really bad according to the vets but I wouldn't have thought it would stop her chewing :? And should I take the vets (this was another vet as our usual vet wasn't there so she didn't really know Poppy's issues) advice and have her teeth removed? Apparently they#ll all fall out anyway :?

Rabbits chew with their back teeth, not their front. If they are "really bad" then she will have problems grinding food & it could well be painful for her :(

What course of action has the vet suggested? Have they prescribed pain relief?

I think it may be worth asking on here for a rabbit savvy vet recommendation in your area - one that has proven experience of working with dental bunnies :wave:

Last edited:
Hi :wave:

In theory you can but then in theory you can put two un-neutered boys together too. Trouble is that in both scenarios they are very likely to fight and so neither are a very good idea.

Poppy will still have her hormones even if Donny has lost his and unspeyed females are likely to "fall out" with their partners, even if not initially further down the line there is a good chance it will happen. If you happen to be around when they have a fight you might be able to intervene but if you're not, serious damage could be done :(

ETA: it will actually be easier to have her speyed whilst she is solo because you needn't worry about the time that they are apart whilst she is having the op etc. She will also be able to recover quietly and as you will have to restrict the area she has access to for a couple of days until her wound has healed, this will be easier also :)

:wave: Thank you :) I didn't really know what to think as my mom was saying no because it would be too confusing for them. Whereas an RSPCA person ^^ You'd think they'd know everything but I didn't know what to think :) They do love each other and have met each other :oops: Donny was trying out his lead for a hunt around the garden (too small to be let loose yet:)) and I didn't realise Poppy was in the garden :oops::roll: Poppy ran over and put her head right down on the floor :? And Donny just carried on eating :? I think she wanted him to groom her but he wasn't bothered lol ^^ They usually lie next to each other in their runs or have kisses :) So I'm hopeful they love each other enough to be bonded :)

She's finished her antibiotics and metacam but that was it :? We have the vets in about 2 weeks so I hope she's okay :) I'm just confused as to why it keeps falling out of her mouth :?

:wave: Thank you :) I didn't really know what to think as my mom was saying no because it would be too confusing for them. Whereas an RSPCA person ^^ You'd think they'd know everything but I didn't know what to think :) They do love each other and have met each other :oops: Donny was trying out his lead for a hunt around the garden (too small to be let loose yet:)) and I didn't realise Poppy was in the garden :oops::roll: Poppy ran over and put her head right down on the floor :? And Donny just carried on eating :? I think she wanted him to groom her but he wasn't bothered lol ^^ They usually lie next to each other in their runs or have kisses :) So I'm hopeful they love each other enough to be bonded :)

Well done for asking :wave: There are lots of people on here with lots of experience of bonding and also those with dental bunnies so please continue to ask any questions and RU will help you :wave:

I'm not a fan of leads on bunnies but that's a personal thing. Just a word of warning, be careful it doesn't get caught on anything and don't leave it on him when you're not with him :)

Well done for asking :wave: There are lots of people on here with lots of experience of bonding and also those with dental bunnies so please continue to ask any questions and RU will help you :wave:

I'm not a fan of leads on bunnies but that's a personal thing. Just a word of warning, be careful it doesn't get caught on anything and don't leave it on him when you're not with him :)

I wasn't keen either :? My mom got it for him though so I thought I'd give it a go :) It's pink... :lol: He was more interested in eating than anything else :roll: He doesn't need a lead now because of his run :) It was just so he could have a look around and find out where my mom grows her green things :oops: She wasn't impressed :lol::lol:

I did it and it worked a treat :) a few hours of friendly chasing and mounting and now they're thick as theives! She's now spayed and they're still happy. Most would say against it but you never know until you try!

I did it and it worked a treat :) a few hours of friendly chasing and mounting and now they're thick as theives! She's now spayed and they're still happy. Most would say against it but you never know until you try!

..but there is no need to bond them prior to her spey and there is far less risk of them falling out if the spey is done first. In addition, for the reasons I have given it will be easier/simpler for the owner if Poppy is speyed first. I don't see the point in increasing the risk of a fall out and potential injury when there is absolutely no need.

Back