• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oat, Wheat and Barley is a favourite of many rabbits. Oxbow timothy and Orchard Grass are close runners up.

Pure Pastures Meadow Hay from The Hay Experts :wave:
My bunnies love it (and it's cheap). :wave:

I usually get Oxbow Timothy Hay, but be very careful as I recently had a batch contaminated with some kind of other 'sticky' grass that made Sora choke...!

I usually get Oxbow Timothy Hay, but be very careful as I recently had a batch contaminated with some kind of other 'sticky' grass that made Sora choke...!

:shock: not good, could you send it back complain and get another from them?

I see a lot of people have mentioned hay that isn't timothy, can rabbits get the same nutrition from hays other than Timothy?

I tend to mainly buy and give Timothy hay but I dont get it from the Hay Experts.

If I get some from the Hay Experts, it is Green Oat Hay, and I just give that as a treat hay (I thought I read somewhere its too rich to give everyday...could be mistaken though)

I tend to mainly buy and give Timothy hay but I dont get it from the Hay Experts.

If I get some from the Hay Experts, it is Green Oat Hay, and I just give that as a treat hay (I thought I read somewhere its too rich to give everyday...could be mistaken though)

I feed Burns Oat Hay daily, just a handful each and mine are OK, granted there is sometimes a day or two where I forget :oops: but I thought it was alright to feed daily in smaller amounts. I've also fed the Oat Wheat and Barley but they seemed to favour the Burns Oat although they aren't impressed with this latest lot as it's very much bits which I've put in a bowl in fact and great long stalks no green leafy strands which they love.

I was buying the meadow hay until recently when I had a batch that was brown & dried & dusty a bit like Pets at home hay and the buns weren't impressed at all and in fact I ended up using one maxi size in the outside aviary on the floor and still have one on the shelf to do the same, they won't eat it. I've been buying bagged Natures Best meadow hay locally as it's nice and green and fresh smelling and I can see what I'm buying.

Maybe I'll give Pure Pastures a go again then if it's improved, is it nice and green & fresh again now?

Oat, Wheat and Barley for me. I used to get the Alpine Meadow Hay as well but my two went off that quite quickly, the full bags didn't seem as nice as the sample ones.

I might try Oat wheat and Barley again and I might give Orchard Grass a go I've never tried that, I forgot mine love the dried Plantain and Dandelion aswell:)

Oxbow Orchard grass all the way! Meadow hay when it's fresh (Usually June/July time is best)

My two are fussy and when ever I'm doubting how much hay they're eating I buy LOADS of Orchard grass :) Money spent on good hay is money saved at the vets :D

My lot love Orchard Grass Hay from The Hay Experts. I got a sample pack of different hays from them and then let the bunnies taste test to see which one they all preferred and they chose OG. :)

Mine love the Burns Oat Hay (although my latest batch wasnt great either - short stalky bits - looks like they have had a bad batch!) and the plantain and dandelion. Mix it all up with hay from a bale and they love digging around for the best bits!

I feed Orchard grass as their everyday hay feed....unlimited :D It's the only hay that they will truely scoff down their little throats :) so the more they eat, the happier I am! It's only really worth buying if you buy the 30Kilo bag as it works out finacially MUCH better! And it'll last me ages! Very compact and fresh!

Mine love the Burns Oat Hay (although my latest batch wasnt great either - short stalky bits - looks like they have had a bad batch!) and the plantain and dandelion. Mix it all up with hay from a bale and they love digging around for the best bits!

Yes I thought I'd do that with the bits and mix it into their food aswell or sprinkle it on their meadow hay aswell, must have been a dodgy batch by the sound of it.:wave:

I feed Orchard grass as their everyday hay feed....unlimited :D It's the only hay that they will truely scoff down their little throats :) so the more they eat, the happier I am! It's only really worth buying if you buy the 30Kilo bag as it works out finacially MUCH better! And it'll last me ages! Very compact and fresh!

Oh right so it's not like the Oat Hay which I'm sure your supposed to limit as it's fattening or something, I do and just give unlimited meadow so this is interesting - I'll deffo give it try next time thanks.:D

Oh right so it's not like the Oat Hay which I'm sure your supposed to limit as it's fattening or something, I do and just give unlimited meadow so this is interesting - I'll deffo give it try next time thanks.:D

Try a sample bag of it or their 425g bags which are usually a fiver :) It's totally safe to feed as their main source of hay :) Mine ate meadow hay until it went sweaty then dry thanks to those hot weeks we had a while back. After that they refused to eat it so I resorted to their costly favourite! It costs £65 quid for 30 Kilo which I was reluctant to pay for! But after a few days of watching how well theye were eating it, I don't regret it and will probably more more in the future but mix with meadow hay again :)

Try a sample bag of it or their 425g bags which are usually a fiver :) It's totally safe to feed as their main source of hay :) Mine ate meadow hay until it went sweaty then dry thanks to those hot weeks we had a while back. After that they refused to eat it so I resorted to their costly favourite! It costs £65 quid for 30 Kilo which I was reluctant to pay for! But after a few days of watching how well theye were eating it, I don't regret it and will probably more more in the future but mix with meadow hay again :)

There you are :lol: OK that sounds like a plan thanks v much, I'll let you know what they reckon when they've tried it, I'll take some pics :D

Back