• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think it'd be worth it to add another floor or two to their shed? (pics)

zayna1

Warren Scout
So the rabbits have a small brick shed/run going down the side of the house. The older bun is very small lionhead, and is pretty much full grown. But the 'little' one is only around 7 months, and is getting bigger every day! (rex cross) So I think its time to give them a bit more room. I'll have to make use of what I have, so my idea is to put another level or two in their shed. This is what it looks like right now: (it was meant to be a temporary home, but our plans changed a little :lol: )
th_IMG_0224.jpg

th_IMG_0219.jpg

th_IMG_0220.jpg

th_IMG_0221.jpg
(the ramp goes up to the bedroom area)

th_IMG_0222.jpg
(the inside of the bedroom area)

So what I want to do is basically put 2 more 'shelves' across so the floor space is essentially trippled. And there'd be a hidey box thing built in to the top shelf. However, the two issues are: we'd have to somehow get another window in/extend it (don't think my dad would be too happy!!) and we are planning on an extention for next year, so we're going to have to knock the shed down and buy a new one for the buns. Do you think I should do it? Or I could just add one more shelf, so the window wouldn't be an issue. The other problem is that I like to go in and sit with them, :oops: and wouldn't be able to do that with the extra levels.....So should I leave it as it is until next year, (probably summer '12) add another shelf, or add 2 more shelves with ramps, and install a new window for light?

Yeah definately, more space, more entertainment and they'll get more exercise if they jump up and down from the shelves :)

So the rabbits have a small brick shed/run going down the side of the house. The older bun is very small lionhead, and is pretty much full grown. But the 'little' one is only around 7 months, and is getting bigger every day! (rex cross) So I think its time to give them a bit more room. I'll have to make use of what I have, so my idea is to put another level or two in their shed. This is what it looks like right now: (it was meant to be a temporary home, but our plans changed a little :lol: )
th_IMG_0224.jpg

th_IMG_0219.jpg

th_IMG_0220.jpg

th_IMG_0221.jpg
(the ramp goes up to the bedroom area)

th_IMG_0222.jpg
(the inside of the bedroom area)

So what I want to do is basically put 2 more 'shelves' across so the floor space is essentially trippled. And there'd be a hidey box thing built in to the top shelf. However, the two issues are: we'd have to somehow get another window in/extend it (don't think my dad would be too happy!!) and we are planning on an extention for next year, so we're going to have to knock the shed down and buy a new one for the buns. Do you think I should do it? Or I could just add one more shelf, so the window wouldn't be an issue. The other problem is that I like to go in and sit with them, :oops: and wouldn't be able to do that with the extra levels.....So should I leave it as it is until next year, (probably summer '12) add another shelf, or add 2 more shelves with ramps, and install a new window for light?

:wave: I can't really make out your pics really well, is that all the accomodation you've shown? I can't see any hay anywhere? Is there another area aswell they can get to at all?

:wave: I can't really make out your pics really well, is that all the accomodation you've shown? I can't see any hay anywhere? Is there another area aswell they can get to at all?

yeah thats all sadly :oops:

they can get to the little bedroom area up the ramp, and there is usually straw lining the bottom (pics were taken half way through cleaning time :oops::lol:) and where the yellow towel thing is, is where the hay is piled (you can see some of it there)

yeah thats all sadly :oops:

they can get to the little bedroom area up the ramp, and there is usually straw lining the bottom (pics were taken half way through cleaning time :oops::lol:) and where the yellow towel thing is, is where the hay is piled (you can see some of it there)

:wave: OK I just wanted to check as I'd imagine that can be fairly dark and in all honesty a bit bleak but with a few improvements it can be much nicer for them ;) - I was asking as I thought I could make out the top of a cage on the left of one of the pics? I think if it were my area I'd do away with the shredded paper in the bed area and replace that with hay ideally but a cheaper alternative is straw and hay in a rack or basket, I also probably make a wooden box to fit that area so they could keep cosy and put a little ramp up on to the top of it where I'd put hay in a basket or rack to nibble with a nice fleece to lie on if they aren't chewers.

I can't see from the picture but the ramp up looks quite flat? Is there little struts going across to aid them running up and stop them sliding down? If not I'd do that and maybe lower the pitch of that slightly by putting another level there that they could hop up, remember to put an edge guard a small strip of wood along the high edges and ideally use some chicken wire to prevent falls or kamakazi jumps!

I'm assuming they get outside of their enclosure aswell for a run around in the fresh air ? I'd still do the window thing, as much natural light as you can really especially if they are in there over winter, I'd also think about making a mesh screen for the top half of the stable door so you could leave it open when it's really warm - some more toys and lots more hay particularly in racks by the litter tray or just nice hay in the racks and a cheaper one covering the tray and that will help make it feel much nicernatural for them though, a water bowl and maybe a tunnel, a lick of paint at the top to brighten it up or a mirror tile/bell they could ring to call you ?:lol: I'm going to get my two pairs a parrot bell and hang it up for them to ring, they like to be heard :lol:

Have a look on here for some idea's www.thehayexperts.co.uk

Back