• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cylap

Alicia

Mama Doe
I've just rung the vets and made an appointment for Molly and Archie to get their VHD vaccinations. After I made the appointment (I know now that I should have asked first) I asked what vaccination they used and she said cylap. I got it mixed up with Lapinject and thought that cylap was the ok one so I've now made the appointment and just double checked on here and realized I got them mixed up. I'm not sure what to do. They are meant to be getting vaccinated on Tuesday, should I cancel the appointment? What are the side effects, should I get them vaccinated with cylap anyway?

Last edited:
Spenser had cylap VHD last year, and was a bit off the next day. He also had a red patch on his skin where the vaccine was given. He's due next week, and as far as I know it will be cylap again.

It may be worth asking if they would be able to get Lapinject or Anivac in for you, or have a look around for another rabbit savvy vet?

Leo bunny had cylap - he did not have any reaction.

Did ask the senior vet about it and he said he could order the Lapinject but not individually and I'd of had to pay for a whole box/batch as they don't keep or something?

As Leo got on ok he will have cylap again next time, if I ever get more bunnies in the future I'd read up on it again and might try to find a vets who stock the lapinject.

Hope it goes ok - worth ringing round in case other vets have lapinject in?

Do vets let you do that unless your registered with them? I registered Molly and Archie at the vets that uses cylap today, at the same time I made the appointment to get them vaccinated, so would I have to register them at another vets? Sorry, I'm easily confused :oops: I'm going to ring the normal vets tomorrow and see if they'll order it another vaccine (I hope I don't have to pay for more than 2 rabbits vaccinations because I've only just managed to save up enough money for the 2 of them :lol: ) and if they won't I've found another vets near me so I'll email them and see what vaccine they use. Archie and Molly are getting their myxi vaccinations in July, is there just one vaccine for that?

Do vets let you do that unless your registered with them? I registered Molly and Archie at the vets that uses cylap today, at the same time I made the appointment to get them vaccinated, so would I have to register them at another vets? Sorry, I'm easily confused :oops: I'm going to ring the normal vets tomorrow and see if they'll order it another vaccine (I hope I don't have to pay for more than 2 rabbits vaccinations because I've only just managed to save up enough money for the 2 of them :lol: ) and if they won't I've found another vets near me so I'll email them and see what vaccine they use. Archie and Molly are getting their myxi vaccinations in July, is there just one vaccine for that?

Yes Alicia, there's just one vaccine for Myxo. Nobivac make it.

Back