• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Friend's Rabbit :[ U/D: Post 13

whitehood

Warren Veteran
I was walking to my house after school he walks down the same road, so I started to talk about rabbits :mrgreen:
I saw his rabbit before, and her 'hutch' I decided to educate him :p

He had has his rabbit for 5 years now, he got her in year 5 and no we're in year 9.
She's a black and white Dutch
He bought a 2 ft hutch from the pet shop.
His bedding is hay
He recently bought a 4ft hutch from Argos
I was happy when he said that - it's still better than a 2x1ft hutch
I said good you did that the minimum hutch should measure 6x2x2 ft for them to hop 5 hops sideways and 2 ft to stand up on their legs and 2 ft wide for them to lye down fully.
I said she couldn't do that before could she :p
He agreed
I said they're also litter trainable, he was shocked.
I said you get a cat litter tray put it in the bit of the hutch where she poops and put hay in it, they like to eat and poop at the same time, Im going to remind him of this in tomorrows walk :lol:
I also said she was a Dutch he thought she was African :)

Tomorrows lesson is going to be about spaying and neutering :)

I was surprised he didn't know what a run was :p

Can you recommend me more questions to ask him and stuff to tell him ? Ty

I think you've done pretty well really. Just advice it gets taken to the vets/vaccinated/and gets a run/let out free ranging.

I think you've done pretty well really. Just advice it gets taken to the vets/vaccinated/and gets a run/let out free ranging.

Ty
I forgot to mention he lets her free range for 2 hours, I said it isn't enough but its better than her being in her hutch 24/7. I told him to let her out at 3 [when he reaches home] and bring her back in at 7/8 ish.

aaah thats wonderful - well done! He will probably start enjoying the bunny abit more too!

Just thought...isnt Rabbit welfare week coming up again? May be way wrong...but perhaps you can both take your rabbits for a check up together & it may even get free vacs or nails clipped if needed and teeth checked etc....:wave:

You could also perhaps say how they only sweat through their noses..and they get hot very quickly in the usmmer so perhaps an icepod or marble slate or frozen water bottle when the weather gets really warm...;)

aaah thats wonderful - well done! He will probably start enjoying the bunny abit more too!

Just thought...isnt Rabbit welfare week coming up again? May be way wrong...but perhaps you can both take your rabbits for a check up together & it may even get free vacs or nail clipor teeth checked etc....:wave:

:O
Thank you, Im going to mention it, but he might find me weird. Already calls me a rabbit nerd which has kind of stopped :?
Im still going to ask though :)
The vet idea is really good tyyyy
I thought RAW started on the 23rd and finishes on the 29th

and these are just the people you hear about!

My neighbour helped me out loads when I first got the bunnies, with handling etc but she was totally surprised when i told her i had mastered litter training " what you can litter train a rabbit?" "yes".

and when i asked about neutering... " we have never had any of ours neutered so i dont know" :shock: she is a lovely lady but just goes to show!

He knew about Neutering
I said you should get her spayed
He said whats that
I said neutering a female
He said I cant get her spayed shes not a boy, only boys can be neutered:shock:

Im not going to hate on him though, He's making improvements

:wave: It is difficult when it's a friend so I think your approach so far is fine. I think it's better to drip feed them information that they can go off and think about (and then hopefully act on) rather than come across as all preachy and put them off. Note: this is my opinion only and there's sure to be many that disagree.

Personally I think having sowed the spaying seed, you need to chat about the benefits and consequences if it's not done.

:wave: It is difficult when it's a friend so I think your approach so far is fine. I think it's better to drip feed them information that they can go off and think about (and then hopefully act on) rather than come across as all preachy and put them off. Note: this is my opinion only and there's sure to be many that disagree.

Personally I think having sowed the spaying seed, you need to chat about the benefits and consequences if it's not done.

Thats exactly what I was going to back up my view with :)

Thats exactly what I was going to back up my view with :)

Diet is an easy topic to chat about too. A relative of a friend of mine has just lost a bun to flystrike so pooey bums brought on my incorrect diet, wrong treats etc. is a real risk at the mo :)

U/D:

I asked him if he would like to go to the vets with me to give his Doe a free check up, he said he'll think about it and then later said no.
I didn't mention spaying as I forgot in all the tension. :?

All you can do is offer advice, you can't force people to do what's best for their animals unfortunately :(

Well done for having a go though!

its good you're educating him. i imagine he means well, he just didn't know. unless you go online and research you'd never really learn how to properly take care of an animal, unless a friend educates you like you're doing :)

He said I cant get her spayed shes not a boy, only boys can be neutered

he is technically right. I dunno about the UK but we never say neuter for females. Neuter=boy, spay=girl, fix=both

its good you're educating him. i imagine he means well, he just didn't know. unless you go online and research you'd never really learn how to properly take care of an animal, unless a friend educates you like you're doing :)

he is technically right. I dunno about the UK but we never say neuter for females. Neuter=boy, spay=girl, fix=both

Ty

He thinks only boys can be fixed and not girls, he has never heard about neutering/spaying girls

Back