• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth removal covered on petplan insurance?

Hi there,

On Tuesday, my male rabbit Dave had all his front teeth taken out! Since having him, we were having monthly trips to the vets to get his teeth trimmed but it had started to get too painful and distressing for him each month. So the decision was made that he would have all his incisors and peg teeth taken out.

Just wondering if any of you know whether this is covered on petplan insurance? I have paid for the treatment but it has been very costly...that and also my cat ended up having an emergency dental on Monday too so it has been a very expensive week!!!!!

Dave is doing really well...started eating pretty much straight after the operation and his wifey, Kym is keeping a close eye on him.

Thanks for reading,
I'm not bitter if it isn't covered..it had to be done, but it would be a real bonus if I could get some money back!!!
XXX

I'm glad Dave is feeling much better now, poor little man with poorly teeth.

As long as there was no previous treatment on his teeth before the policy was set up I believe he should be covered. I think they are not covered for routine spurs filing etc but this is more major treatment.

I could be wrong but this is what I would assume, hopefully somebody can come along with more knowledge and say for certain.

I think, if in doubt claim - keep all receipts, fill out the forms etc and see how you go - I was told each case is looked at individually.

I agree with dusty claim and see what they say petplan are usually good I've made claims in past and they've also said they will pay for ava's treatment which was tooth related

If he had teeth problems when you got him and before you took out the policy they won't be covered.
If he was seemingly healthy when you took out the policy and the treatment didn't start in the exclusion period you may be able to claim.

teeth

Hi there,

On Tuesday, my male rabbit Dave had all his front teeth taken out! Since having him, we were having monthly trips to the vets to get his teeth trimmed but it had started to get too painful and distressing for him each month. So the decision was made that he would have all his incisors and peg teeth taken out.

Just wondering if any of you know whether this is covered on petplan insurance? I have paid for the treatment but it has been very costly...that and also my cat ended up having an emergency dental on Monday too so it has been a very expensive week!!!!!

Dave is doing really well...started eating pretty much straight after the operation and his wifey, Kym is keeping a close eye on him.

Thanks for reading,
I'm not bitter if it isn't covered..it had to be done, but it would be a real bonus if I could get some money back!!!
XXX

hi..i have a bunny who is only 14 weeks old an i have had to take her to the vet as her teeth didnt seem right..it seems she has a prob that her teeth dont meet to grind dwn...the vet said in the long run she should have her teeth out..may i ask how ur dave is doin an wot probs he hd with his teeth..iv never known a rabbit to have no teeth lol...im a bit concerned about her an wondering if she is struggleing to eat? she has teeth snipped dwn an is due back in a few weeks...if any one could help i wld very much appreciate thanx x

Back