PDA

View Full Version : 2 rabbits needing urgent help in Sussex.

Sooz
26-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi all,

I've just had a call from one of my friends who is a vet in Horsham, West Sussex. Her surgery does a lot of work with the RSPCA in that district and she has just gone in to do some operations and been informed of two rabbits who are due to be PTS (in other words, they have asked her to euthanise them). The reason for this is the RSPCA is unable to rehome them due to their temperment, I gather they have been sent out and then returned. She has called me to see if I can help but I have very limited time to do so, maybe until Monday at the latest.

They are two females, one harlequin marked and one sooty fawn (uppy eared), from what I have been told. Both spayed and vaccinated, one year old and living together. They are both perfectly healthy, they just need someone who is patient and can do rehabilitation work with them, or is used to handling more tempermental rabbits.

I sadly cannot take these rabbits on myself, I have no spare accommodation and a baby due imminently but I really would like to try and find them a home or rescue space if at all possible.

Can anyone help?

Please do not turn this thread into one berating the RSPCA. My concern at the moment is solely for the rabbits. Also, apologies if I am not supposed to post this here, it's been a while since I needed this kind of help and not sure if the rules have changed, but we're very short on time.

helgalush
26-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Really hope you can find a home for them. :cry:

biscuitblossom
26-05-2011, 01:48 PM
I'd love to help but Horsham isn't very local to me!

The Duchess
26-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Sooz, Hi:wave:

I will post this info on my Facebook. Sadly can't help personally at the moment as I'm full.

Sooz
26-05-2011, 01:50 PM
It's also 200 odd miles away from me, but she's desperate and didn't know who else to call.

The Duchess
26-05-2011, 01:51 PM
And anyone wishing to offer help, who should they contact in the first instance?

Sooz
26-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Sooz, Hi:wave:

I will post this info on my Facebook. Sadly can't help personally at the moment as I'm full.

Thank you, I've shared it on FB too and am about to try our Twitter account. If people are able to share on FB/Twitter, please do.

The RSPCA would take them back if someone rehomed and couldn't cope. I think the adoption fee would be waved in this case too.

Sooz
26-05-2011, 01:52 PM
And anyone wishing to offer help, who should they contact in the first instance?

Myself please. :wave:

The Duchess
26-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Myself please. :wave:

If they are not on the forum so can't PM, is there an e-mail or phone?

If you fancy e-mailing me I can make a note but not publish it.
therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

AnnieElms
26-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi,

I am not in a position to take on any permanent buns, but I do have a foster space at the moment. I could take them temporarily if someone could help me with the rehoming side of it. Also, I wouldn't be able to afford vet care...:oops:

Sorry, that doesn't sound like a very good offer at all, but if I can help by offering them space and love and food and attention, would the RSPCA be able/willing to provide vet costs? I feel really mean, but I just can't stretch to the vets bills :(

I am in Surrey near Guildford.

Sooz
26-05-2011, 01:56 PM
happy_hoppers@yahoo.co.uk if they are not on the forum.

Thank you x

helgalush
26-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi,

I am not in a position to take on any permanent buns, but I do have a foster space at the moment. I could take them temporarily if someone could help me with the rehoming side of it. Also, I wouldn't be able to afford vet care...:oops:

Sorry, that doesn't sound like a very good offer at all, but if I can help by offering them space and love and food and attention, would the RSPCA be able/willing to provide vet costs? I feel really mean, but I just can't stretch to the vets bills :(

I am in Surrey near Guildford.

Oooh that sounds promising! :) I think you and Sooz posted at the same time so not sure if she saw this :wave:

Sooz
26-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I should think the RSPCA would cover vet costs or my friend would deal with them until they were passed into the care of another rescue but I would be wary of taking them on a foster basis before a rescue has agreed to take them on.

My friend has health checked them and said they look perfect and are very beautiful.

helgalush
26-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Sooz, do you know what the temperament issues are? Does that mean they are aggressive/bitey buns?

AnnieElms
26-05-2011, 02:11 PM
I should think the RSPCA would cover vet costs or my friend would deal with them until they were passed into the care of another rescue but I would be wary of taking them on a foster basis before a rescue has agreed to take them on.

My friend has health checked them and said they look perfect and are very beautiful.

Ok, thanks. Can I leave my offer out there in case a rescue can help as well? I really want to help, but I think you are right. I feel so bad that I can't take them permanently but I'm just not in that position at the moment, and it wouldn't be fair on the buns to take them if I couldn't afford any treatment they might need.

Do I understand that they are basically 'un-rehomable' to the general population so essentially would be looking for a permanent rescue home or a home with someone with the expertise/funds to look after them?

Sooz
26-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Sooz, do you know what the temperament issues are? Does that mean they are aggressive/bitey buns?

Aggression I believe but my friend believes it is down to a lack of handling and the RSPCA don't have the time to work with them. They need a fosterer or rescue who has experience with rehabilitation, or an experienced owner.

Foofy
26-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Have you tried the cat and rabbit rescue in Chichester, West Sussex maybe they have space for these 2 buns? Hope they can be found a home

Debster
26-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I feel awful I can't take them :( but I will help with transport if needed as I am very close to Horsham. Pls keep us updated Sooz :)

The Duchess
26-05-2011, 03:03 PM
I feel awful I can't take them :( but I will help with transport if needed as I am very close to Horsham. Pls keep us updated Sooz :)

Debbie, Jens has e-mailed. :-)

I'll be back up depending on what is needed.

Debster
26-05-2011, 03:09 PM

:D:D:D:D:D

You two make rather a good team!

Sooz
26-05-2011, 03:10 PM

I've just replied to her email after calling my friend and have passed her number on. She is clarifying things with the RSPCA tomorrow, so have asked Jenny to call her then.

Incidentally her twin sister works at Seers Croft vets which is the one Jenny uses, but not the one my friend works for. Small world!

BTW The nurse who was cleaning them out said they are fine with people they know & trust!

The Duchess
26-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I've just replied to her email after calling my friend and have passed her number on. She is clarifying things with the RSPCA tomorrow, so have asked Jenny to call her then.

Incidentally her twin sister works at Seers Croft vets which is the one Jenny uses, but not the one my friend works for. Small world!

BTW The nurse who was cleaning them out said they are fine with people they know & trust!

I've no doubt Sooz that they just weren't the cuddle monsters some people want. So many people mistake aggression for defensive behaviour. I like a bunny with attitude and have actually got two of mine like this that have been reserved this week by people who understand and know that they will need to be given time. So there is hope for these kinds of bunnies sometimes.

Hope this all works out.

The Duchess
26-05-2011, 03:23 PM
:D:D:D:D:D

You two make rather a good team!

:oops:

Sooz
26-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks for every ones help & assistance in this matter, fingers crossed everything comes together for them tomorrow. :wave:

AnnieElms
26-05-2011, 03:35 PM
I hope they find a happy home :)

abbymarysmokey
27-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Any news on these buns? :wave:

shelley
27-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Im in Horsham, Is it Arthur Lodge Vets that they are at? If so they are on the same road as me! Now i totally cant take them long term but i would take them in for a short while if it means it will save them from being pts. If there's anything i can do let me know, however i would need to borrow a create or something

The Duchess
27-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Hopefully all sorted now thank you. Bunnies being picked up on Sunday.:D

The Duchess
27-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Im in Horsham, Is it Arthur Lodge Vets that they are at? If so they are on the same road as me! Now i totally cant take them long term but i would take them in for a short while if it means it will save them from being pts. If there's anything i can do let me know, however i would need to borrow a create or something

Thank you for your kind offer Shelley. A rescue local to the bunnies is helping to take them in and they are going to be fostered locally.

shelley
27-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Thank you for your kind offer Shelley. A rescue local to the bunnies is helping to take them in and they are going to be fostered locally.

Aww thats great news, i would of hate to let them get pts when im so close by. I hope theyfind a home soon :)

Crawley Guinea Pig Rescue
27-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Just coming on here as I cant remember who I have told!!!!

Been in touch with the lady who works at Vets, I am collecting buns on Sunday and they will be going to a bunny savvy fosterer for a while, will assess etc and then between Helen (The Duchess) and myself we will sort something out.

If I can get a photo on Sunday or Monday I will post here.

The Duchess
31-05-2011, 09:51 PM
These girls are safe.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=4696709#post4696709