• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 rabbits needing urgent help in Sussex.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all,

I've just had a call from one of my friends who is a vet in Horsham, West Sussex. Her surgery does a lot of work with the RSPCA in that district and she has just gone in to do some operations and been informed of two rabbits who are due to be PTS (in other words, they have asked her to euthanise them). The reason for this is the RSPCA is unable to rehome them due to their temperment, I gather they have been sent out and then returned. She has called me to see if I can help but I have very limited time to do so, maybe until Monday at the latest.

They are two females, one harlequin marked and one sooty fawn (uppy eared), from what I have been told. Both spayed and vaccinated, one year old and living together. They are both perfectly healthy, they just need someone who is patient and can do rehabilitation work with them, or is used to handling more tempermental rabbits.

I sadly cannot take these rabbits on myself, I have no spare accommodation and a baby due imminently but I really would like to try and find them a home or rescue space if at all possible.

Can anyone help?

Please do not turn this thread into one berating the RSPCA. My concern at the moment is solely for the rabbits. Also, apologies if I am not supposed to post this here, it's been a while since I needed this kind of help and not sure if the rules have changed, but we're very short on time.

Sooz, Hi:wave:

I will post this info on my Facebook. Sadly can't help personally at the moment as I'm full.

It's also 200 odd miles away from me, but she's desperate and didn't know who else to call.

Sooz, Hi:wave:

I will post this info on my Facebook. Sadly can't help personally at the moment as I'm full.

Thank you, I've shared it on FB too and am about to try our Twitter account. If people are able to share on FB/Twitter, please do.

The RSPCA would take them back if someone rehomed and couldn't cope. I think the adoption fee would be waved in this case too.

Hi,

I am not in a position to take on any permanent buns, but I do have a foster space at the moment. I could take them temporarily if someone could help me with the rehoming side of it. Also, I wouldn't be able to afford vet care...:oops:

Sorry, that doesn't sound like a very good offer at all, but if I can help by offering them space and love and food and attention, would the RSPCA be able/willing to provide vet costs? I feel really mean, but I just can't stretch to the vets bills :(

I am in Surrey near Guildford.

Hi,

I am not in a position to take on any permanent buns, but I do have a foster space at the moment. I could take them temporarily if someone could help me with the rehoming side of it. Also, I wouldn't be able to afford vet care...:oops:

Sorry, that doesn't sound like a very good offer at all, but if I can help by offering them space and love and food and attention, would the RSPCA be able/willing to provide vet costs? I feel really mean, but I just can't stretch to the vets bills :(

I am in Surrey near Guildford.

Oooh that sounds promising! :) I think you and Sooz posted at the same time so not sure if she saw this :wave:

I should think the RSPCA would cover vet costs or my friend would deal with them until they were passed into the care of another rescue but I would be wary of taking them on a foster basis before a rescue has agreed to take them on.

My friend has health checked them and said they look perfect and are very beautiful.

I should think the RSPCA would cover vet costs or my friend would deal with them until they were passed into the care of another rescue but I would be wary of taking them on a foster basis before a rescue has agreed to take them on.

My friend has health checked them and said they look perfect and are very beautiful.

Ok, thanks. Can I leave my offer out there in case a rescue can help as well? I really want to help, but I think you are right. I feel so bad that I can't take them permanently but I'm just not in that position at the moment, and it wouldn't be fair on the buns to take them if I couldn't afford any treatment they might need.

Do I understand that they are basically 'un-rehomable' to the general population so essentially would be looking for a permanent rescue home or a home with someone with the expertise/funds to look after them?

Sooz, do you know what the temperament issues are? Does that mean they are aggressive/bitey buns?

Aggression I believe but my friend believes it is down to a lack of handling and the RSPCA don't have the time to work with them. They need a fosterer or rescue who has experience with rehabilitation, or an experienced owner.

Have you tried the cat and rabbit rescue in Chichester, West Sussex maybe they have space for these 2 buns? Hope they can be found a home

I feel awful I can't take them :( but I will help with transport if needed as I am very close to Horsham. Pls keep us updated Sooz :)

Back