• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does dark poo = Bad teeth?

mattyp

Warren Veteran
I've noticed recently that Maisie isn't producing golden poo quite like Marvin does. She only eats pellets and hay, and the occasional bit of fresh greens so there is nothing in her diet which would stop her producing quality poo.

They are quite small and dark so I am a bit worried that there may be something wrong. She is booked into the vets for Saturday for a myxi jab but I am just wondering if i should book her in for a dental as well?

She eats and poos like a machine but her poo is not to the 'standard' i'd like. I'm not sure if this means she has a problem?

(also does a dental mean she needs to be put under or can they be checked whilst conscious?)

Mmm it's difficult to say although usually it's dietry that affects colour, I noticed after feeding some dried plantain to mine the other day that one Gizmo seemed to have darker poo - not sure if he ate more than the others as I put it in a bowl maybe they still ate the same hay and he reduced his, size is a concern - Gizmo's were normal size just darker and are back to golden today so I' was able to link to the Plantain - small and dark is usually a cause for concern in stasis prone rabbits so I'd increase fibre and fluids if possible to be on the safe side, not sure if it directly links to dental though?

from my experience it did with me

linuses poop used to get teeeeeny and hard, other signs were grinding teeth, wet chin, with him too

fresh willow makes there poops nice and big and golden

they can check teeth, but if shes a bit nervous they may like to check under, if she does need a dental, I dont think she with have her myxi jab,,

my vet never vaxinated next to a operation, due to immune system being lowered from GA

Mmm it's difficult to say although usually it's dietry that affects colour, I noticed after feeding some dried plantain to mine the other day that one Gizmo seemed to have darker poo - not sure if he ate more than the others as I put it in a bowl maybe they still ate the same hay and he reduced his, size is a concern - Gizmo's were normal size just darker and are back to golden today so I' was able to link to the Plantain - small and dark is usually a cause for concern in stasis prone rabbits so I'd increase fibre and fluids if possible to be on the safe side, not sure if it directly links to dental though?

There isn't really any particular bit of food that could account for her dark poo though, as her poo is rather consistent and any food given that isn't hay/pellets isn't regular enough to be effecting her droppings. :?

She isn't stasis prone and as far as I know she hasn't ever had a stasis episode and is now almost 4. I'm just really confused as to why her poo isn't perfect :( I will keep her on pellets and hay and see if anything improves.

There isn't really any particular bit of food that could account for her dark poo though, as her poo is rather consistent and any food given that isn't hay/pellets isn't regular enough to be effecting her droppings. :?

She isn't stasis prone and as far as I know she hasn't ever had a stasis episode and is now almost 4. I'm just really confused as to why her poo isn't perfect :( I will keep her on pellets and hay and see if anything improves.

Yes it may be worth doing that and checking the intake remains stable, I would mention it to the vet for sure assuming all is well till you go for vaccination - it's no bother to check the teeth although I always associated stopping eating hay & pellets, wet chin or runny eyes with likely dental, I've not yet (touches wood) had dental issues which is largely due to them being hay monsters I think :lol:

Dark poo alone doesn't mean there is a problem - Alfie and Bubbles used to do really golden poos, but I've switched hay and, while their poos are still very big, they've got much darker.

If they're smaller in size as well though, that suggests she's eating less and could indicate a dental problem so it's worth mentioning it to the vet & getting her teeth checked just in case. The vet will be able to have a look without sedation, but sometimes it's only possible to get a really clear view while under GA.

Her poos have never been huge, but they have got smaller, but she is definitely still eating a lot as I often hand feed or scatter feed where I can watch them so I am really hoping her teeth is okay!

Thanks for the help :)

Back