• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long have people had rabbits for?

gwaterhouse

Wise Old Thumper
I'm a relative n00b, having only had Zoidberg for about a year now. I remember how little I knew compared to what I know now which still isn't a lot!! Now we've got Mary I'm learning even more!!

I'd never had a rabbit before, altho I had dogs n cats as a kid growing up...

6 months :lol::lol:

Though we had rabbits when we were growing up, they weren't very well looked after :oops: I'm making it up with these two though!

6 months :lol::lol:

Though we had rabbits when we were growing up, they weren't very well looked after :oops: I'm making it up with these two though!

My wife is the same, shed had rabbits growing up but as you said they weren't very well looked after unfortunately.

I've had them all my life though were not really cared for in the best possible way. They always had hay, muesli and water all avaliable but the hutches were tiny and they didn't get out much :cry: My dad used to keep rabbits for eating when he was growing up so it kinda makes sense.

I'll always remember our first rabbit, an albino nethie called Snowy. He lived for thirteen years and had lived in four different houses in Wales, England and Germany :lol:

I always wondered if my parents replaced him a couple of times but then I realise that would have been cruel as he lost an eye as a baby and the thought of them buying a new bunny and removing the eye then sewing it up seems like too much bother.

As every one else i had bunnies when i was a child. In fact ive always had a rabbit really. We got our first bun when i was 3 then she died when i was 7 so we got another and she died when i was 11 and my 3rd childhood bun died a few weeks ago at the ripe old age of 11. Ive now got the other 2 who live with me but my mum isnt going to have any more that we've all moved out and grown up

i got my first bunny Polly 17 years ago now.

i didn't know half as much as i do now but she was a house bun with a permanently open cage and the run of the entire house.

diet wise i now shudder when i think what she ate (muesli food, iceberg lettuce and digestives to name a few! :shock:) but she did have constant hay, ran with the dogs like she was part of the pack and lived to be 9 years old. :love:

i got my first bunny Polly 17 years ago now.

i didn't know half as much as i do now but she was a house bun with a permanently open cage and the run of the entire house.

diet wise i now shudder when i think what she ate (muesli food, iceberg lettuce and digestives to name a few! :shock:) but she did have constant hay, ran with the dogs like she was part of the pack and lived to be 9 years old. :love:

That's the thing some rabbits/animals can eat whatever and live til their ripe ages, yet others people can restrict what they eat and then they still only live til less than the others, i think it's just down to the bun, and as an owner you do have the responsibility to look after the pet as best you can.

we had a pet dog as a kid who ate chocolate and everything and lived til she was like 15 i think, so luck of the draw i guess!

I've had bunnies since I was 3/4 years old, I'm 35 now. My first bunny Mitzi died whilst giving birth, I remember seeing her with the babies stuck :( After that we only had Thumper and I think we, well my parents, were ahead of the times with regards to housing. He was a free ranging bunny and lived in a massive shed and had free run of the garden and house. He was never confined to hutch. For a short while, before Mitzi I remember we had a big agouti male called Fred and he was so nasty and sprayed all the time. That was before neturing was common practice. I don't remember what happened to him. When I left home my parents still had bunnies and a couple of house guinea pigs too. Now they have 5 bunnies.

I've had bunnies since I was 3/4 years old, I'm 35 now. My first bunny Mitzi died whilst giving birth, I remember seeing her with the babies stuck :( After that we only had Thumper and I think we, well my parents, were ahead of the times with regards to housing. He was a free ranging bunny and lived in a massive shed and had free run of the garden and house. He was never confined to hutch. For a short while, before Mitzi I remember we had a big agouti male called Fred and he was so nasty and sprayed all the time. That was before neturing was common practice. I don't remember what happened to him. When I left home my parents still had bunnies and a couple of house guinea pigs too. Now they have 5 bunnies.

:shock:

that's a long time! :lol: that's older than me even! :shock:

Use to live with my nan when I was little and shed alwas have rabbits although we had little to do with them as she took on aggresive ones.

I would of had Blue just over two years and tomorrow it will be 2years since Iv'e had Honey, the rest slotted in between a year after them :lol:

I got my first bunny when I was 4 I think but after he passed away I didn't get any more until I was 11:)

They weren't looked after particularly well:(

2 years :wave: and now no looking back,i could't be without my buns now :)

me too.

they are so lovely, i just sit and watch them on a morning before work and when i can on an evening, they are so lovely.

although this morning i went away for 5 minutes to make a tea, came back and zoidy had jumped out of the run and was free ranging in the garden! mary was sat in teh run watching him, she must have been thinking "he's going to get told off! :lol:"

Back