• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cat advice please.......wrecked animal karma and stressed owner............

hannah.mc

Warren Scout
I think Buttons is OK but I've just had to chase a local pussy cat out the garden. We've lived here for 9 months now and this cat has regularly peered at the buns from the top of the fence but never done more......
But Petie (my big male bunny) died nearly 3 weeks so now Buttons free roams solo although I am getting her a husbun......
I don't like having to but I threw a bowl of water at the cat (once I'ld picked Buttons up) but wondered what people would suggest? you can get chemical stuff can't you I could sprinkle on the fence.
Buttons seems fine (considering she's in the house which she doesn't especially like.
I don't want to have to have my eyes on her every minute shes roaming but to loose her too and to a cat attack would break ny heart!!!!!!!

:love:

Get those cheap plastic spikes that you nail into the top of your fence, they do them in all sorts of colours to suit your fences. Alternatively, put a mesh boarder on the inside/top on the fence to stop access (and exit) of leggid introudors. Some people use them for house cats so they can go in the garden but not escape. I hope buttoms is ok!

Think she was more distressed by me bringing her in the house for a cuddle and check over!!!!! She'ld spotted the cat but think the froze rather than bolted. I'm planning to water the cat every time it appears but will def invest in some spiky things and I'm just going to have to sit out with her EVEN more!!!!!
It's over an hour since it happened and I can't relax!!!!
Buttons is now tucked up alone in the hutch (sob) with the shed padlocked!!!! Poor lady really does need a big strong man to protect her!!!!!
Thanks Laury xxxx

PS She started eating her dinner so clearly not that traumatised!!!!

Get those cheap plastic spikes that you nail into the top of your fence, they do them in all sorts of colours to suit your fences. Alternatively, put a mesh boarder on the inside/top on the fence to stop access (and exit) of leggid introudors. Some people use them for house cats so they can go in the garden but not escape. I hope buttoms is ok!

Last edited:
Cats hate garlic and citrus. You can get powder garlic or stringed loves and hang them on the fence. You could also rub lemon zest on the top of the fence or lemon juice.

I like the organic approach!!!!!

I would however, happily use chemicals if it keeps my lady safe!!!!!

I'ld gotten so comfortable with her freeroaming!!!! Poor lady has a sad life as it is these days!!!

Time for the owner to try and sleep I think!!!!

:(

Cats hate garlic and citrus. You can get powder garlic or stringed loves and hang them on the fence. You could also rub lemon zest on the top of the fence or lemon juice.

I am now the proud owner of a kick ass pressurised water pistol AND have hung tea tree oil teabags from major fence posts...........now just have to worry about Buttons having caets on her bum tonight for the first time EVER!!!!! Poor doe has had a rough month, figure it's stress affecting her grooming routine???

Back