• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flowers and toxicity?

rachylou

Warren Veteran
How posionous are flowers such as Delphiniums?

Would a bunny have to actually eat it for it to be a problem or could it be a problem if I touch it then touch the buns?

I think they are highly toxic, it's advisable to wash your hands for your own sake if you handle them or am I getting mixed up with lupins?:? I think the buns would have had to ingest them :)

A similar question came up on Gardeners Question Time the other week and although the context was slightly different, I think the same answer applies.

Basically, they had been discussing growing vegetables amongst flowers and someone asked whether you might run the risk of getting toxins on or into your veg if you grew them alongside poisonous flowers.

The panel were adamant that you could only be poisoned by toxic plants if you actually ate them and that it was not possible for them to contaminate veg.

So, a rather long-winded way of saying that delphiniums would only be poisonous to buns if they actually ate them.

I dont think I actually touched them but am paranoid that my hair did even though I dont think it did... OCD again!!

Would it be a problem if my hair did touch them, then I snuggled up with the buns and my hair touched them?

I have used my hand gel before touching the buns.

I can't imagine the buns could be hurt by you touching them - there would be such a tiny residue of it on your skin, and then they would have to lick that exact same part of themselves before it rubbed off...I just don't think there would be enough poison there.

Different plants have different toxicity levels too. If you're worried about particular species it might be worth chatting with your vet, I believe they have access to lists of poisons and the amounts that are dangerous.

Although it's always wise to wash your hands after touching poisonous plants, "just in case" - after all what if you forgot and licked your own fingers, or rubbed your eye?

I know what I've said will probably just fuel your OCD and I honestly don't mean it to - it's a low risk, it's just good practice to take *reasonable* steps to eliminate it.

ETA PomandRi posted just whie I was typing - sounds like a very sensible view - if you want to could look up Gardener's Question Time on the iPlayer and hear the details yourself :)

I'm sure your hair can't poison the buns x

I dont think I actually touched them but am paranoid that my hair did even though I dont think it did... OCD again!!

Would it be a problem if my hair did touch them, then I snuggled up with the buns and my hair touched them?

I have used my hand gel before touching the buns.

I doubt it very much especially if you've brushed your hair.

Oh dear

It will be fine, I promise - if hair touching poisonous things could kill buns, they would be dying left right and centre, and post mortems would indicate what poison had killed them.

My buns wouldn't last five mins as I work with poisonous plants every day and only brush my hair when forced to :lol: although I am scrupulous with hand washing.

they will be fine please don't worry too much :)

I hadnt brushed my hair!? :shock:

:lol: Don't panic, it's my mistake but it doesn't mean you've contaminated them, at worst it would be pollen which would be like a bit of dust so probably blown away before you went near the buns anyway, they'd need to ingest the flower bud or leaf or something like that to be poisoned I'm sure, Jingle ate a large part of a leaf from a highly toxic plant arum and he was fine, if your worried feed them a bit of grape or cucumber or infact anything wet which will more than compensate/dilute anything - chill out, I'm sorry if I've made you worse I didn't mean to.

Some plants are irritants, so you can get a skin reaction by touching them, although you don't generally grow them in your flower border for obvious reasons :lol: You'd actually have to eat them to get sick though.

Some plants are irritants, so you can get a skin reaction by touching them, although you don't generally grow them in your flower border for obvious reasons :lol: You'd actually have to eat them to get sick though.

Even the buns?

So if my hair touched the flowers then touched the buns that is safe?
Also if my hair touched the pillow case as I obviously did when sleeping, if the buns jump up on to the pillow which they do, is that safe or should I wash the bedding?

Also if my hair touched the pillow case as I obviously did when sleeping, if the buns jump up on to the pillow which they do, is that safe or should I wash the bedding?

As Tamsin said your all safe, something would have happened by now to you or them if there was a reaction, your fine they are fine, I wouldn't let them near them though in case they nibble them.:wave:

Everything is fine

If they can't get ill from touching your hair, they can't get ill from touching bedding that your hair has touched.

Cookie does like to scrabble at the bedding :lol: she also does some sliding!
I have started training her by saying 'Digging bad, sliding fun!' then she does more sliding! :)

Cookie does like to scrabble at the bedding :lol: she also does some sliding!
I have started training her by saying 'Digging bad, sliding fun!' then she does more sliding! :)

:lol: Thats cute not sure it will work - I could try it on my rabbits get them one of those little bitty kiddie slides when they are tunnelling to Australia, not sure it would work :lol:

:lol: Thats cute not sure it will work - I could try it on my rabbits get them one of those little bitty kiddie slides when they are tunnelling to Australia, not sure it would work :lol:

Im staying hopeful :roll: :lol:

So are you sure that I do not need to wash the bedding?

Back