• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I...

emjrabbitwolf

Warren Scout
Convince my future father in law, who's home I currently live in with my fiance, teh family cat and my lovely Ben, that Ben shouldn't be a single bunny, but actually needs additional bunny companionship?
I'm not allowed to get a second bunny, even though I know its actually fairly cruel to leave Ben alone. If we hadn't had the cat arrive there was a chance, but now Evie's joined the family I can't change his mind, even when I point out its cruel on Ben.
Ben has a 2 storey 3-4ft hutch and the fun of the kitchen, with access to other rooms with supervision. Has a huge collection toys and boredom breakers.
Just really worry about him. He's been on his own for about a year now, and I hate it. I've had him 6 months, qand he's about a year old.
Any suggestions on what I could do? Or do I resign myself to the fact until we can move out I can only have a single bunny?
Worry he's getting depressed...

not sure what the answer is.
Maybe show your father-in-law some official sites that say about the benefits of rabbits having company?

Talk to your fiance about it too.

At the end of the day it's your father-in law's house...

Perhaps you could arrange with a local rescue to take your bun there to interact (through a fence) with other buns? Explain to them you cannot have another bun while living at your f-i-l's house and want your bun to have company till you move into your own place.

sue:wave:

Difficult. However, there are alot of people here with single bunnies and their bunnies are very happy or bunnies that do not want to bond with any other bunny.

Maybe your bunny gets enough from you. Don't worry for now, as I doubt you can change your father in laws mind.

Your bunny is very adorable I have to say. Stunning.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the ideas.

I know Ben might be one of those buns who prefers single life, but I worry about him when people aren't able to spend time with him... Wish my bedroom was bunny proof so he could spend the day with me when I need to rest/recover.

Maybe taking him to interact through fences could be good for him and me. He could interact and I could help, though nearest rescue didn't respond when I sent a message about volunteering... ah well.

Thank you.

Ben can be very sweet and adorable, or a terror depending upon his mood!

my reason for getting a friend for flopsy was that my OH would get to spend more time with me and flopsy wouldnt need my attention as he would have bella. ... kind of true as he doesnt need as many head rubs...

my reason for getting a friend for flopsy was that my OH would get to spend more time with me and flopsy wouldnt need my attention as he would have bella. ... kind of true as he doesnt need as many head rubs...

There is that... though Ben gets attention from everyone in the house not just me, and its more the future-FiL that needs convincing.
Though I'm gonna try something... There's a poor rabbit at PaH who was one of their stock who broke their leg during transport. They're at the instore vet getting healed up, and due to injury wont go for sale, but get put in the adoption centre... Gonna ask if we could take that one if a female.
Have a second hutch and Ben is remarkably friendly when it comes to sharing his hutch, Evie camps in there some times.

Back