• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

interesting convo with vets - opinions would be welcomed :)

xx-snowball-xx

Wise Old Thumper
vet thinks snowball is almost fully grown and he's older than we thought
(which is interesting because it's something i have wondered about and actually discussed with someone not that long ago)

when he went to the vet in feb, aged (what i thought) was about 5 and a half / 6 months old, he weighed 1.3kg

when he went in april for his neuter aged about 6 and a half / 7 months old he weighed 1.6kg

when he went today aged 7 and a half / 8 months he weighed 1.55kg

i spoke to the vet about his weight when she said 1.55 (i was concerned that he hadn't gained much weight in the last 3 months) which is when she told me he was 1.6 when neutered (i didn't know that until today)
the possibility of him being older was discussed

(have to add, don't think the vet we saw today was rabbit savvy, even though we were at the rabbit savvy vets. because she didn't know there was anything other than cylap available for vhd and also said myxi should be given every 12 months, she even admitted that i seemed to know more about the vacc's than she did!)

does anyone else think that a weight gain of 0.25 / 0.3 in 3 months isn't a lot and he might be older? or is it just my imagination being fuelled :lol:

If she isnt the buyer for the vaccs at the practice she might not need to know whats avai. He could well be a older than you thought pet shops dont always know exactly how old their buns are and would poss tell you he was a bit younger anyway if they thought his age might put you off

If she isnt the buyer for the vaccs at the practice she might not need to know whats avai. He could well be a older than you thought pet shops dont always know exactly how old their buns are and would poss tell you he was a bit younger anyway if they thought his age might put you off

ah that's fair enough, i didn't think of that.
she was very nice, the subject of vaccs and cylap only came up because she asked me if he was vacc'd, which obviously isn't on their system since it was done at the other vets :oops:
she was lovely about it, told me it was well within my rights to go elsewhere and not to be embarrassed (which it was obvious i was lol)
she also said that they would most likely order my preferred vaccine in which was nice :D

ah yeah, that's very true! was told he was 12 weeks when i first saw him and it was 2 weeks later i picked him up, so thought about 14 weeks.
he's grown a bit, but not much if he was really as young as adam said :lol:

spoke to the tameside rescue today btw, elaine wasn't in, but i've to ring back tomorrow to speak to her :)

Back