• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam dosage

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Rhia is on 4ml a day metacam, I have never normally given probiotics alongside meds but with it being a high dosage, would it be advised to do so? Shes on jabs too so its a lot for her little body X

What jabs is she on? If it is abx, then i think that probitics could benefit :)

I *think* its penicillin, I was pretty much asleep last night giving it her to be honest (As was she, was a long day!) so didn't even notice what it was. But Im 99% its penecillin X

Is she on the dog (1.5mg/ml) or cat (0.5mg/ml) Metacam? That does sound like a heck of a large dose but I know that rabbits tolerate high doses extremely well.

Good point, i didnt ask which type of metacam it was :wave:

Ginger is on 0.6ml of Dog metacam (1.5mg/ml)

My rabbit is 1.8kgs and in a lot of pain with a broken leg and I have been told that the top dosage I can go to is 0.7ish mls and no more...

However,

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/s/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm
says you can go up to 0.6mg/kg
it also says
"studies have shown that rabbits may require a dose exceeding 0.3 mg/kg every 24 hours to achieve optimal plasma levels of meloxicam over a 24-hour interval and doses of 1.5 mg/kg subcutaneously or orally are well tolerated for 5 days." (B546)

So I guess as long as it is not on long term then a high dose is fine??

I don't think painkillers upset the gut flora in the way antibiotics do, mine get biolapis as soon as antibiotics are administered.

Personally I would be querying that dose as the maximum dose of DOG Metacam my Vet would prescribe to a 3kg Rabbit would be 1.2ml/24 hrs

AFAIK the dose range is 0.3-0.6mg/kg/24hrs which is 0.2-0.4ml/kg/24hrs when using the DOG Metacam

So 4ml is almost 4 times that :?

My rabbit is 1.8kgs and in a lot of pain with a broken leg and I have been told that the top dosage I can go to is 0.7ish mls and no more...

However,

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/s/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm
says you can go up to 0.6mg/kg
it also says
"studies have shown that rabbits may require a dose exceeding 0.3 mg/kg every 24 hours to achieve optimal plasma levels of meloxicam over a 24-hour interval and doses of 1.5 mg/kg subcutaneously or orally are well tolerated for 5 days." (B546)

So I guess as long as it is not on long term then a high dose is fine??

I don't think painkillers upset the gut flora in the way antibiotics do, mine get biolapis as soon as antibiotics are administered.

But long term high dose metacam (NSAID) usage can cause kidney issues :wave:

Its not long term at this dose, it falls then falls again then she sees the vet. I rang again last night to query the dose & was told its right - I'm still concerned though & waiting to hear today for a second opinion from a different vet from different surgery.

Back