• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help- urgent! UD - Hospitalised...AGAIN! \ UD...diagnosed EC.

minilops_99

Young Bun
My rabbit just had what looked to be a fit. She has never done it before and only 5 months old. I am trying to get through to the vet but no ones answering!

Last edited:
They may not be open until 9am, or they are dealing with patients at the door as most would open at 8:30 i believe.

Keep on trying, you are doing the best thing. Please keep us informed of her condition.

Sending vibes.

She seems alright at the moment just a little quiet. Im not entirely sure it is a fit but the best way to describe it was 'flopping like a fish' really quickly. Ive just read online that rabbits usually die within an hour of having a fit? Not sure how true that is!

Not necessarily true. It could be an EC induced fit or anything, vet would need to confirm any of this via bloodwork etc.

Keep trying :)

Has she ever had contact with other rabbits?

You give pancur for EC dont you? I have some which i could give but Id obviously speak to the vet first. I just saw her do it again slightly but it looked more like she lost her balance n was trying to get up.
It was the scariest thing when I saw her first do it!

Sorry yes she lives with another rabbit. Im having to go to work in a minute so getting a friend to watch them until i at least speak to the vet!

Sounds like she might be rolling. That could be ear infection, or EC induced i guess.

I dont know enough about EC to comment further though.

Loads of vibes - hope your vet can help her today as early as possible :wave:

Sounds like she might be rolling. That could be ear infection, or EC induced i guess.

I dont know enough about EC to comment further though.

Loads of vibes - hope your vet can help her today as early as possible :wave:

As above.

Fingers, toes and paws crossed for your little bunny.

Keep us updated. xxx

My bun Bugs had a seizure caused by EC, he died straight after. Have you got through to a vet yet? I really hope the bun is ok.

Sorry not had any chance to update! Ive been at work all day apart from taking her to the vets this morning.
Molly has been hospitalised with either EC or a possible abcess on the brain. Shes had another seizure while she has been in the vets, now just waiting for them to ring me with an update.
They said they had a similar case a few weeks ago with a good outcome but said it is very serious and there is a chance she may have to be put down.
Im having to give my other bun panacur as a precautious!

Just heard from the vets she hasnt had any more seizures but shes really not happy about them taking blood from her so theyve stopped for a bit. My other rabbits now causing me concern although shes not ill! Ive had to give her panacur and now she just keeps launching herself at me and scratching me everytime i go near her! Shes usually the friendliest bunny ever!

I really hope there is a good outcome for your bun. Your other bun is probably confused about where her friend has gone. I can understand that you will be worrying about every little change in her behaviour. Please give us any news when you get it.:wave:

I think your probably right. She keeps thumping her feet too...i presume she thinks ive done something to the other one or somethings happened to her and she doesnt want the same to happen to her. She will happily come over to me and cuddle if i have treats though. Cheeky thing!
Ive looked up the symptoms for ec and it looks to me that it could be that although im no expert!
I hope its not an absess on the brain, they said thats when we might have to consider pts!

Back