• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grooming??

MichG

Mama Doe
How do you go about grooming an aggressive cashmere bunny?

As hard as I try Jasper will NOT let me groom him, all I get is bitten and scratched!!! I have tried a 2 person approach, didn't work, I have tried food bribery, unfortunately my hand is tastier than anything else!!

He is just getting more and more knotted and I am getting more and more frustrated, I can't be too rough/forceful with him in the way I hold him either as his has a broken front leg (not that I would be too forceful etc to cause pain, but I can't hold him as tight as I want to!!)

At first I thought it was because of the pain, but I have upped his painkillers but he is still a grumpy bun!!! I think I am going to go for the shaved look for the summer, that way I can try harder to keep on top of it as it grows back!

If he already has knots then his skin may well be sore. So any grooming will just make him more sore. I would get him shaved ASAP as the longer the mats remain the more felted up they become which in turn causes more discomfort. Really thick felts can be a nightmare to remove, even with electric clippers. So the sooner its done the better xx

If he already has knots then his skin may well be sore. So any grooming will just make him more sore. I would get him shaved ASAP as the longer the mats remain the more felted up they become which in turn causes more discomfort. Really thick felts can be a nightmare to remove, even with electric clippers. So the sooner its done the better xx

He isn't really knotty all the way to his skin, I can just feel them starting to form again :( when he first came into the rescue he was so severely matted that he had a massive abcess on his back. I think I will take him to work with me tomorrow for a shave, just reluctant to have GA for it as sedation doesn't work on him and he is really prone to stasis and GA always seems to bring it on :cry:

I have tried getting him to come to me, but he doesn't, he is extremely nervous and is mainly fear aggressive. I have been trying to spend hours with him over the past couple of weeks and slowly we are making an improvement, sadly until I can stop giving him his pain killers daily (which means picking him up as he won't take them otherwise) I don't think we will get very far.

My other buns are so food orientated but Jasper is so happy to take his time over food that he doesn't feel the need to come to me if I bribe him with something nommy

Back