• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bayrtril - ideas how to administer

kat031181

Alpha Buck
Kitten has been a little poorly after her spray think it was more the stress of it all, but hopefully on the mend now

I have to give her baytril antiobiotics daily for 3 more days but she hates the taste of it vet told me to syringe it in her mouth but she paws and paws at her mouth for ages afterwards, are there any foods that disguise the taste i put it on cut grass but she just ate round it grrrrrr!

She is also on prebiotics which are so easy just a sprinkle on why cant it all be that easy!

But it does seem to be helping she is eating a lot more and pooping a lot more too

Think my OH will be glad when i stop counting and collecting bags of poops!

Oh dear no bun likes Baytril!

You could try adding a tiny bit of Ribena or apple juice to the syringe which will help the taste - as it is sugary keep it to a minimum and don't use it if tummy is upset.

Is she having painkillers too?

In general bread is not great to give to rabbits but I use a small inch square piece for baytril. Even Nutmeg, who is extremely fussy, will take it this way with no problems. :thumb::thumb:

Oh dear no bun likes Baytril!

You could try adding a tiny bit of Ribena or apple juice to the syringe which will help the taste - as it is sugary keep it to a minimum and don't use it if tummy is upset.

Is she having painkillers too?

Thanks il try that just trying to keep the stress to a minimum and holding her doesnt help but she would prob lap that up il try it tm night

she had a metcam jab yday and i have liquid metcam to give her for 3 days as well but she likes that i just put it on a dandeline!

Her tummy hasnt been upset she just wasnt pooping as much as normal but today normal service has resumed poops galore!

In general bread is not great to give to rabbits but I use a small inch square piece for baytril. Even Nutmeg, who is extremely fussy, will take it this way with no problems. :thumb::thumb:

Thank u il give that a go as well i was given more than i need so i can afford to try a couple of things without worrying about wasting things

Thank u il give that a go as well i was given more than i need so i can afford to try a couple of things without worrying about wasting things

My Nutmeg gets stressed out easy and has a few breathing issues so we do everything we can to not stress her needlessly. The bread really helps, basically I fill the syringe then 'inject' it into the bread so it soaks in. :thumb: Hope it works for you too. Let us know how you get on.

If you have a very food obsessed bunny, it's quite easy to disguise it in various foods - bread and baby food worked with Alfie. :thumb: Bubbles is never so easily fooled though and we always have to syringe it. :roll:

I use a bit of mashed banana too. He wasn't sure at first but now looooves it and always licks the plate clean afterwards!

Ella's Kitchen Baby foods - My saviour for EVERYTHING!! :love: Rhia will not let anyone near her mouth, vet even said she'd have to be sedated to look in her mouth, so syringing is waaay out of the question!

i often give my buns apple juice in a syringe just so they get used to it, although barney is the only one who has had baytril.

As Pie has her gut issues I cannot put it on a lot of stuff. So I make a basil-baytril sandwich.
As the basil leave are shaped like a banana it sits in it nicely and stick another leaf on top and she wolfs it down and has no idea :)

I'm so glad I found this post today! Jasper started treatment for a blocked tear duct, and I didn't realize giving the baytril would be so, so difficult! I'm going to try mixing it with mashed banana tonight, and hope he'll be none the wiser.

I'm so glad I found this post today! Jasper started treatment for a blocked tear duct, and I didn't realize giving the baytril would be so, so difficult! I'm going to try mixing it with mashed banana tonight, and hope he'll be none the wiser.

Me too,
Mauds been on Baytril since friday after her op and now runs from me when she sees the syringe, she's also on Metacam, I put that on bread
[my four have bread every day, they love it]
I wasn't told I could put Baytril on bread, just Metacam, but I know she'll take it with no probs on bread - thats tonights dose sorted then! :wave:

Oh bless her hope she takes her meds ok after all these suggestions and is better soon and, I know its easy to say but try not to worry. Give me a shout if I can help with anything :D

(to clarify anything bun related not cleaning or ironing etc)

Thanks everyone im sad to say non of the food tricks worked she looked sniffed and then looked at me like i was trying to poison her! so had to just syringe it in with a little ribeana!

ive spoken to the vet today and this was the last dose anyways her poop count still isnt what it was before op but we think that might be down to her not moving abouts as much so she is now allowed to have the garden back. So ive made a ramp for the backstep and ive let her have a hop about. Just going to keep a close eye on her but hopefully its just a few more days and all will be normal! The wound is looking good just a small scab on it but its only a week x

and hehe thanks kath!

Back