• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites...query about treatments...

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all!

Im in aus and my OH has said he thinks the buns have mites as they are scratching their ears...Ive read a load of info and realise we cant see the mites....but wanted to double check other symtons ...Ive asked him to check:

Dry patches at the base of tail or back of necks?
Do their ears smell?
Can you see puss or anything in their ears?
Do their ears look inflamed or red inside at all? even on the big ear area.

Can you see anything moving on their fur or skin? (could be lice then...if you squish them they leave red marks...)

I think mites are microscopic - we cant see them.....

Are there any main symtons ?
(I dont know much about it thought have tried reading!)

Question 2:

Treatment seems to be identified by a vet for mites...and treatment given is:

Ivermectin: This can be in drop form or by injection but will need to be given in 3 doses, 2 weeks apart for each dose.

OR

Xeno 450.
Is Xeno a drop form treatment?

So I wanted to know....
Whats the difference between the 2 treatments given?

Question 3:
Can he buy this over the counter?

Whats the best way to dis-infect their living area's?
Can they have their toys still or should these also be disinfected?

Can these mites come from hay?

Many thanks for the help...Im sure its all been answered before but Im getting abit confused here! Many thanks...;)

I cannot advise too much about this but when I spoke to my vet about mites a while ago he mentioned that they take a sample and look under the microscope to confirm mites

Symptoms are scratching and hair falling out.
Usually they go to warm places so that would be the base of the ears, back of the neck etc..

I cannot advise treatment as not had them before although i have heard of ivermectin

What are the results back form the things you have requested oh to look at?
I dont think mites cause puss but if im worng hopefully someone will come along to correct me

The mites my friend's rabbit had were only visible under the microscope. He had the stuff applied three times at forntightly intervals, and it was applied to the affected area. His main symptom was flaky skin (a bit like dandruff), with some thinning of the fur in the worst affected area, and generally poor fur-condition.

I cannot advise too much about this but when I spoke to my vet about mites a while ago he mentioned that they take a sample and look under the microscope to confirm mites

Symptoms are scratching and hair falling out.
Usually they go to warm places so that would be the base of the ears, back of the neck etc..

I cannot advise treatment as not had them before although i have heard of ivermectin

What are the results back form the things you have requested oh to look at?
I dont think mites cause puss but if im worng hopefully someone will come along to correct me

Thanks for this! :)
Im waiting for OH to reply to email ...time difference is 7 hours for me...
Im interested to hear any info regarding treatment , symtons & costs...as questions above...many thanks for this...will ask OH to check base of neck, tail etc and fur condition. He did say the girls were moulting heavily but Archie wasnt....:?

The mites my friend's rabbit had were only visible under the microscope. He had the stuff applied three times at forntightly intervals, and it was applied to the affected area. His main symptom was flaky skin (a bit like dandruff), with some thinning of the fur in the worst affected area, and generally poor fur-condition.

Thanks hun!
Hopefully OH will get back asap regarding any flaky skin etc....seems like scratching ears..possibly shaking heads...Im not there to see....so will try call OH again to check.

Any more info - very welcome guys!
Can OH buy over the counter treatment & treat himself?
Can you harm a rabbit by treating for mites if its not mites?

Getting to the vets at moment is abit difficult as all 3 buns fighting and we have 1 carrier for them all...or do we seperate for the journey?

I know they should get a confirmation from the vets but Im not there.

Advice on cleaning living areas & toys?

Does this need to be done fortnightly too to stop re-infection?

thanks all!;)

Back