• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Minimum Housing ? Has it changed ?

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
sory if this has already been asked but i cant find it anywhere on previous theads :/ Whats the minimum housing for a hutch for 2 bonded rabbits ?
Has it changed ?
Thanks in advance

8ft run :shock: The hutch i am getting has only a 6ft X 4ft attached run on it ?
Will that be fine, If I also let them free range every other day ?

I have four rabbits ( 2 pairs) how on earth will I fit two 8ft runs in the garden :shock: hats a big change from 6ft - 8ft :shock:

It's meant to be 8ft x 6ft now. There is a lot of people now in your situation, but really, I think its OK.

Thanks, I mean they will be in their 6ft X 4ft runs while I am at school but then after school I can let them free range :)

I believe the 8x6 run is recommended for 8 hrs a day - if they have full time access to a slightly smaller run and free range time on top, I think that's ok. :thumb:

The RWA say 6ft by 2ft and 8ft by 4ft http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Obviously, the bigger the better is the whole idea, and some of us need to constantly work to improve their lives, but it's like with anything about owning rabbits, in that sometimes compromises have to be made away from the 'ideal' be it diet, not being bonded, vaccinations, etc, even if those compromises are temporary or more longer term.

If you already have these accommodations, then you can work in the future to maybe add a run extension, or increase space in another way. If you don't already have this accommodation, maybe you could look to buy something different instead?

The RWA say 6ft by 2ft and 8ft by 4ft http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Obviously, the bigger the better is the whole idea, and some of us need to constantly work to improve their lives, but it's like with anything about owning rabbits, in that sometimes compromises have to be made away from the 'ideal' be it diet, not being bonded, vaccinations, etc, even if those compromises are temporary or more longer term.

If you already have these accommodations, then you can work in the future to maybe add a run extension, or increase space in another way. If you don't already have this accommodation, maybe you could look to buy something different instead?

Thanks, I would live a 8ft X 4ft run unferunatley the area I have cant fit an 8ft run in :( if you have any links to places that sell 6ft X 2ft hutches with 8ft runs then that would be great. I cant spend more than £200 on it tho :)

Ah 8x4 is a relief :lol: I'm only about 1ft off then. I was imagining an 8x8ft run and thinking the majority of people wouldn't have gardens that big...

Although that's the RWA recommendation I don't think that's changed most rescues' requirements and they are still asking for a 6x2 hutch with a 6x4/6x6 run depending on the rescue.

Hutch is the same I believe but the run size seems to be ever changing. Don't worry about it, of course the more space the better but not everyone has room for an 8ft room and not every rabbit will even bother to use the space. People can't expect you to buy a new hutch/run just after you've bought one to previous 'reccomendations'

Hutch is the same I believe but the run size seems to be ever changing. Don't worry about it, of course the more space the better but not everyone has room for an 8ft room and not every rabbit will even bother to use the space.

I can't imagine my rabbits not using every bit of space we give them. Are there really such rabbits out there? Even when mine are in the garden free ranging they're all over the place.

I can't imagine my rabbits not using every bit of space we give them. Are there really such rabbits out there? Even when mine are in the garden free ranging they're all over the place.

Yes, my dwarf lop cross harry, even when he is free ranging chooses to stay in one place or sit for ages in one spot and eat grass :lol:

Back