• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you tell the quality of baled hay?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
As the title says really, I know nothing about hay and just wondered how to tell if the quality you're getting is good or not.

I get the bunnies baled hay for their litter tray and 'posh' hay for in the hutch and run. They don't usually bother much with the baled hay tbh but this time I had to get it from somewhere else and they're eating it for fun! I've never seen Dizzi eat this much hay before!! If it were inferior would they just ignore it or are they likely to just eat anything as long as its hay??

It seems to have lots of different types of grasses in there and also lots of seedy things etc.

I'm hoping that its not just because its different that they're tucking into it so enthusiastically and that they really do love it, it could save me a fortune in 'posh' hay (obviously I'd still buy it for them but wouldn't have to buy the quantities I get now if they're getting all the goodness they need from the bail).

Also, their poops have been a lot bigger the last couple of days (since the new bale arrived).

So any top tips for sussing out the quality??

Last edited:
I was told for baled hay to reach into the middle of it, pull out a handfull, and sniff it to see whether it smells fresh and sweet or if it's damp and musty.

not sure how keen farmers are on you doing that though!

to be hoenst if your bunnies enjoy it and their poops are good I would say the hay is good quality. :) I only use baled hay these days as it's nicer than pet shop stuff and cheaper than fancy brands. (They get fancy stuff as an occasional treat thogh!)

I go by smell and appearance.

I get "posh" hay delivered (Willow Warren)...we ran out of that at the weekend before the new delivery had arrived and used Pets at Home hay. The difference in appearance and smell is quite astonishing.

The good stuff (as I see it) smells really fresh - like so fresh you almost want to eat it! Sweet-smelling.

Its also green/yellow in appearance, with lots of thick stalky bits as well as a few green softer bits. The thick stalky bits I think are really good for their teeth and tums. By contrast the PAH hay was brown, flimsy, limp, fine strands, and there wasnt the same fresh smell.

Sniff it, a good bale of hay should smell sweet and not musty or mouldy and it should look like hay and not straw :)

Thanks everyone, I'll go and have a sniff and a rummage!

The place I usually go to is closed due to fire damage so will see how we go with this new one as I don't know when/if the other place will re-open again!!

OK so I rummaged into the middle and sniffed - it smells quite nice! No musty smell and it wasn't damp.

It's mostly yellow with some more green bits here and there, it has long thin stalky bits and then shorter greener bits and then some kind of fluffy bits (like seed heads) .......... they seem to be tucking into that even more than their oat, wheat and barley!! :shock: Think we could be onto a winner :thumb:

OK so I rummaged into the middle and sniffed - it smells quite nice! No musty smell and it wasn't damp.

It's mostly yellow with some more green bits here and there, it has long thin stalky bits and then shorter greener bits and then some kind of fluffy bits (like seed heads) .......... they seem to be tucking into that even more than their oat, wheat and barley!! :shock: Think we could be onto a winner :thumb:

Sounds like it to me, lucky you, I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to find decent hay - I'm currently buying Natures Best Devon Ltd but that apparently has gone up to £4.00 a bag!:shock: It's lovely smells fresh and is green and soft but still that works out around £20 per bale I'm in a quandry with what to do, the only place I know that does bales they aren't dust extracted and they seemed a bit 'musty' smelling although that was last years cut, are we on this years cut now does anyone know? Perhaps I'll email Lisa @the hayexperts as the meadow hay I've had from there went downhill but could have been end of last years stock?? Grrrr I'm so jealous of you people who live in rural areas and can get nice quality baled hay :)

Yeah it's a shame they didn't decide this before I forked out £30 on an order at hay4pets!! :lol: Mind at least the 'posh' stuff will last longer! Variety is the spice of life n all that!

Wow £20 per bale!!? :shock: I paid £6.99 for mine!

Sounds like it to me, lucky you, I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to find decent hay - I'm currently buying Natures Best Devon Ltd but that apparently has gone up to £4.00 a bag!:shock: It's lovely smells fresh and is green and soft but still that works out around £20 per bale I'm in a quandry with what to do, the only place I know that does bales they aren't dust extracted and they seemed a bit 'musty' smelling although that was last years cut, are we on this years cut now does anyone know? Perhaps I'll email Lisa @the hayexperts as the meadow hay I've had from there went downhill but could have been end of last years stock?? Grrrr I'm so jealous of you people who live in rural areas and can get nice quality baled hay :)

Your in Hampshire... cant get more rural! Where abouts are you? Might know a hay supplier near you :wave:

Your in Hampshire... cant get more rural! Where abouts are you? Might know a hay supplier near you :wave:

:lol: You'd think that and there are a few farms but Kitnocks hay when I went to see it was a bit musty smelling I thought and although it's not treated they do use fertilizer he said - I'm in Stubbington btw :wave:

Back