• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new to keeping bunnies outdoors - any tips?

I cant work out how to post piccies on here, but basically I've ordered a 10 x 6 shed/run for Jasper & Daphne. Its a 6 x 4 shed with a 6 x 6 walk in covered run attached.

I havent kept bunsters outdoors before (or at least since I was a child) so I could do with some tips really.

I'm planning on using polystyrene sheets and plywood to insulate the shed part, and will be blocking off one open side of the run with plywood as it will be against the neighbours fence anyway.

there is no window in the shed at the moment, but the neighbour is putting an opening window in which I'm also going to mesh.

I'm not sure I want to leave access to the run 24/7 as there are a lot of cats round here and I dont want the buns getting scared on a night so I was going to block the pop-hole and have a cat flap fitted which I'll lock on a night. During summer days the door will be kept fully open and I'll leave the cat flap unlocked during winter days.

In summer, will there be sufficient ventilation overnight if I leave the window open? Any other tips on keeping them cool? I use a fan for the house bunnies but I'm not having an electric source to the shed.

Has anyone else insulated theirs in the same way as I'm planning? Is it likely that the bunnies will chew through the plywood? Sorry if the questions sound a bit stupid but I really only have experience of free ranging house rabbits so I am probably being a bit over-cautious about having outside bunnies.

Does anyone have any further suggestions on how I can improve the shed for winter conditions as well?

Thanks.

PS shed/run is going to sit on flagstones

hi
I do have 2 buns outdoors but have a hutch set up rather than a shed and your q's seem shed specific.

can you post of pic of what you have so far? this might help people to make better suggestions :wave:

I use a very snug homemade waterproof hutch cover which keeps them very warm so dont need anything else but you wouldnt be able to do this for a whole shed.

Back