• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe to leave together?

Fern

New Kit
I've just put the new boy with my 2 girls and although there's been a bit of chasing and humping they seem to be getting along fine. Would it be safe to leave them together now or should they be seperated occasionally to start with. I mainly am wondering if it's a good idea to leave them together overnight.

The best bet is to keep them together perminantly and sleep next to them for a few days, that tends to be the best way to bond

There are different approaches to bonding. One of the more popular methods involves introducing the rabbits in a small neutral space and then not splitting them unless there is serious fighting. To bond well, they need to sort their pecking order and this is harder to do if they're being separated from time to time.

Chasing, fur pulling and humping are normal. If the rabbits are locked on-fighting, then split them for a few seconds (using a broom not your hands or you'll get bitten) and then release.

If all is going well, I would leave them together provided you can supervise them continuously for at least 48 to 72 hrs. The problems often come in the early hours of the morning, at times when the bunnies are naturally more active so even if it's looking promising now, things can suddenly 'flare up'.

Back