• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daily Mail condemns poor conditions of many pet rabbits

That's absolutely fantastic and completely unexpected in a newspaper like The Daily Fail! I suggest we all contact them to thank them for raising awareness like this.

There is a thread on this somewhere. I agree,they are surprisingly the only media source to pitch the issue perfectly. Who'd have thought?

The thing I'm finding with all these articles as that they don't really summarise how they *should* be kept, just that most are kept wrongly. A bit frustrating really, when it would have been so easy to get in that hay should comprise the vast bulk of their diet etc.

The thing I'm finding with all these articles as that they don't really summarise how they *should* be kept, just that most are kept wrongly. A bit frustrating really, when it would have been so easy to get in that hay should comprise the vast bulk of their diet etc.

I thought they did ok, for a brief article - it states that rabbits mainly need hay and grass, explains that fibre is important, and has tips for environmental enrichment like hiding food to make them forage for it.

They do though, well at least they mention hay several times in the article, unlike any of the others I have read. In fact, I felt that unlike the others, they did actually give some good facts about keeping rabbits and how to improve living conditions. The guardian not only did neither of those things, but kept going on about the nutritional value. :lol: I think comparatively, after listening to vile Vine etc too, this is an amazing article and should be praised as it might encourage them to feature more, or go into more details.

There was meant to be something on breakfast news about it but I had to go to work so have recorded - did anyone see it?

I saw the article after the receptionist at the vets told me about it. She's actually going to laminate it and stick it on the desk at the vets.

I agree with SarahP, although its really good that articles are now being written, its a pity that they dont go into enough detail on how to keep your rabbit.

I wrote an email reply to the person who wrote the article, which turned out to be an essay by the time I'd done, congratulating them on bringing the issue up but stating how nice it would be for them to write a follow up article that DID go into more detail on rabbit requirements, bonding, insurance, and the work of rescues.

Now we need to laminate it and stick it to the door of every petshop that sell's rabbits! see how many impulse buyers are stoped in tracks!! :?

I've just re-read it, and I'm really searching for the advice. There is this bit:

People are feeding them a lot of concentrated food and not the kitchen scraps they would once have, mostly because people are eating more convenience foods themselves,’ she said.

‘But rabbits need hay, grass, fresh greens, and a lack of that is directly related to their dental problems.

That's what I find frustrating - it's not 'rabbits need hay' that needs saying, but that it's the bulk of their diet is what people don't get. ie that hay *is* food, not a salad to accompany it, y'know?

I don't like to sound negative though - it's better than nothing, that's for sure.

this is great because some people out there won't intentionally do this to animals thinking that it is bad.. my advice from notcutts was a 5ft hutch is enough for two rabbits. the more people who see this the better and i hope it makes them consciously aware that they have to change things

good that i found rabbit forum :) this place is priceless for the best care

Sarah, I do agree that it should be longer&there is tons more to say. But did you read the Guardian one? This looks like a perfect guide to rabbit care compared to that one. :shock:

Back