• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bit worried and annoyed :-(

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I have 4 rabbits (2 pairs) who weren't interested in their breakfast this morning. These just happen to be the 4 rabbits that the local children make a bee-line for in our garden.

I try to be nice to the local kids by letting them stroke the rabbits, and sometimes hold them...but I always say NOT to feed them anything unless they ask first...yet I sometimes catch them feeding weeds to the rabbits without asking. If any of them have fed them anything poisonous I really won't be happy :evil:

They've all had gut motility stuff and metacam, and I'm going to pop home at lunchtime to check on them. I REALLY hope it's just something relatively harmless like they've been upset by the wind or a passing fox.

Please send lots of vibes x

What a shame. I hope it is down to something simple. It is hard with kids trying to be friendly and get chatting about rabbits' needs whilst protecting them too.

I have runs in my front garden but am lucky to be home all day to keep an eye out when there are kids talking to them.

Hope your buns are OK when you get home to check them.

I completely relate to your need to keep your buns safe whilst striking a happy balance with promoting & encouraging rabbit welfare.
Have a similar scenario here & it can be tricky. I want people to see that the way I care for my buns is different to what is the 'norm' here.
It's great when they ask me about why I'm doing things the way I do but its stressful when kids don't do the right thing around the buns.
Yet you want to educate people by example so its a bit of a tight rope.

Just got back to work. I'm not too worried about 3 of them because they ate a bit of veg when I went home at lunchtime. There are definitely poops, but they are mostly mishapen and some have mucous in them.

I'm a bit more worried about Leo. He wouldn't eat anything at all this lunchtime, although he wasn't displaying any obvious signs he's poorly by his behaviour...no teeth grinding or sitting hunched up. I've given him some metaclop and I'll take him to the vets after work if he isn't eating by the time I get home.

Not sure what to make of all this TBH. None of them seemed stressed or sickly, so I can only think they've been fed something they shouldn't eat :?

i hope they are ok. could you maybe put a notice up to tell people not to feed them?

Yes, I think I'll have to.

Unfortunately people can come through our front gate and get around the side onto the garden. We did plan to get a new fence and gate put up, but not been able to afford it yet.

I had to take Leo to the vets this evening. She confirmed he wasn't bloated and no blockage...so just carry on with meds and syringe feeding.

The other three seem much better :)

On the downside, I caught the local kids sticking weeds through the hutch wire of these 4 rabbits AGAIN tonight! I gave them a bit of a talking to about not coming into the garden unless I'm with them...so hopefully they'll get the message this time :roll:

I had to take Leo to the vets this evening. She confirmed he wasn't bloated and no blockage...so just carry on with meds and syringe feeding.

On the downside, I caught the local kids sticking weeds through the hutch wire of these 4 rabbits AGAIN tonight! I gave them a bit of a talking to about not coming into the garden unless I'm with them...so hopefully they'll get the message this time :roll:

I am glad he checked out ok.

I have a wee sign on the run explaining that the rabbits in the run are foster rabbits and telling people their names. I then said please not to feed them because the grass they are eating is the best food for them. So far so good but most of the kids on the estate go to school with my kids and are used to me telling them off in the house.:oops:

Can you not secure the garden to stop the kids getting in without your permission?

Back